Unit connects to Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is disabled [Bug 7]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
JungleJim

Unit connects to Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is disabled [Bug 7]

Unread post by JungleJim »

I guess not many users will run into this in daily use, but I noticed this when trying out Map Manager.

1. disable Wi-Fi via Setup > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi disabled
2. turn off the device
3. turn on the device
4. device connects to a known Wi-Fi network although Wi-Fi is still disabled and no Wi-Fi status icon is displayed
5. device disconnects from Wi-Fi network after some time (< 1 minute) after which Wi-Fi stays disabled

This allows for example to start a Map download although Wi-Fi looks disabled.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unit connects to Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is disabled [Bug 7]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

How are you determining the device is connected to Wi-Fi after boot if no Wi-Fi icon is displayed?
JungleJim

I noticed first by the fact that after turning the device on, Map Manager would allow me to add a map and start a download even though Wi-Fi was disabled. Normally the unit would first display the screen that Wi-Fi needs to be setup.

Then I confirmed it by looking in my network management tool (Unifi), and it showed the unit connected to the Wi-Fi network known to the GPSMAP (still with Wi-Fi disabled on the device and after turning it on).
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Tested and confirmed!

SHAME on Garmin....

Added Bug 7 to the GPSrChive >GPSMAP 67 > Common Issues page.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

JungleJim wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:23 pm I guess not many users will run into this in daily use, but I noticed this when trying out Map Manager.

1. disable Wi-Fi via Setup > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi disabled
2. turn off the device
3. turn on the device
4. device connects to a known Wi-Fi network although Wi-Fi is still disabled and no Wi-Fi status icon is displayed
5. device disconnects from Wi-Fi network after some time (< 1 minute) after which Wi-Fi stays disabled

This allows for example to start a Map download although Wi-Fi looks disabled.
Did it update the CPE file during this time? It could be intended, otherwise it is a bug.
JungleJim

I actually did some network traffic sniffing, and one of the thing that happens is that the device connects to api.gcs.garmin.com. Judging from discussions on the official Garmin Forums and the GPSMAP 66sr forum here, this is where the CPE files are made available. So it could very well be that the unit downloads the CPE data directly after power on. But since it's over TLS I could not easily decrypt the data being exchanged.

But still I think that when Wi-Fi is set to off, it should really be set to off...
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Yes, it would always try to update the CPE file when it is connected via WiFi. I am interested, if it does it make in time to download the CPE successful during this period of <1min, which you described.
JungleJim

It appears the device connects with Wi-Fi not only just after startup, but also during regular use. I did a short walk today with Wi-Fi off. After I came home (Wi-Fi still disabled), my activity was automatically uploaded to Connect. My network management tool also confirms the device connected.

I reported the issue to Garmin
Spoiler
but no reaction yet.
JungleJim

Issue not fixed in firmware 4.80.
JungleJim

Based on a quick test it looks like this has been fixed in 5.30. It takes some time for the unit to disconnect from the Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi is disabled, but I don't consider that an issue.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”