Basemap missing?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
berin

Basemap missing?

Unread post by berin »

I've just updated my Montana 700i with the latest CN Europe 2023., and that also updated to the latest firmware. I also (via manage maps in Express) removed the Topo Europe maps, to make room for some Morocco maps.

When I look at the device on Java, I get this message. It seems to have all the maps loaded and routes ok. Any ideas what this means?

*** Do Not Hotlink External Images ***
Spoiler
Screenshot-2023-03-20-at-15-36-03.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Basemap missing?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Need to see the list of map files loaded on the device.
berin

Unread post by berin »

**** DO NOT HOTLINK IMAGES!!!! Upload Images to via Attachments Tab when posting!!! ****

Spoiler
Screenshot-2023-03-22-at-19-46-56.png

Spoiler
Screenshot-2023-03-22-at-19-49-13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Based on the files displayed in your first screen capture, the device is indeed missing the Basemap.

There is a gmapbmap.sum file, but no gmapbmap.img file.

Garmin Express never touches this map, it is installed from the factory. Hopefully you have a backup of all files on your Montana 7x0 as received so you can restore it!

You are also missing the gmapdem.img Digital Elevation Map (DEM).
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 pm Garmin Express never touches this map, [..]
At least for 276Cx, this is not true. Garmin Express had back then offered an update from v5 to v6.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
berin

Unread post by berin »

Hmm. I've never deleted the basemap and the DEM, I just used GE to remove Topo pro. These are the 2 units that Garmin replaced last year, and which I've only just updated. The other one (which isn't in my hand at the moment) is exactly as it came back from Garmin, so I'll check that when I get it back.

Assuming that unit has the basemap and DEM in, can I just copy them into the root of the unit which is missing them?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Copy them to the \Garmin\ directory, not the root. Same location as all the other *.IMG maps.

See GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Files & Folders.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

berin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:46 pm I just used GE to remove Topo pro.
Ah! That was the missing piece :-) At least for Europe, removing TopoActive map with Garmin express also removes basemap _and_ DEM map! You need to reinstall TopoActive to get them, as then Garmin Express installs basemap and DEM map back on the same place as the TopoActive. Depending if you choose internal storage or sd card. Since the Europe City Navigator and TopoActive Europe do not fit on internal memory anymore together, you will need a sd card with max 32gb size and fat32 format.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
berin

Unread post by berin »

Thread resurrection here! Is there a way to leave the basemap installed but not the Topo Active? I don't use the top active and I need the SD card to put some other regional maps on
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

berin wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:26 pm Thread resurrection here! Is there a way to leave the basemap installed but not the Topo Active? I don't use the top active and I need the SD card to put some other regional maps on
In the JaVaWa Device Manager program, you will get information in which .img files individual maps are located. From device memory copy the redundant maps to your PC, then delete the img files, leaving the Worldwide DEM Basemap.

When connecting the device to Garmin Express, the program will remind you about the existing map update due to the lack of them in the device.

Return to “Montana 7x0”