Thoughts about GPSMAP 67?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Gadwin

Thoughts about GPSMAP 67?

Unread post by Gadwin »

I have the opportunity to replace my 66sr with the 67 without any financial loss. My motivation to get the 67 are BeiDou, Battery life and USB-C. I am not interested about the 67i.

My concerns are, that there is this annoying bug, where I can't update CPE.Bin File via WiFi, that somehow receiving of the satellites signals is flawed and that the battery life is not better in a normal usage, but only in GPS and Expedition mode.

Did somebody some tests yet and can tell me something about my concerns?
neilwoody

Re: Thoughts about GPSMAP 67?

Unread post by neilwoody »

You wrote: "My concerns are, that there is this annoying bug, where I can't update CPE.Bin File via WiFi, that somehow receiving of the satellites signals is flawed and that the battery life is not better in a normal usage, but only in GPS and Expedition mode."

Can you explain your observation that the 67's reception of satellite signals is flawed and in what ways is it flawed? In your observation that the battery life is not better in "normal" usage, did you mean when the GPSr is in GNSS and multi-band modes?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

I don't know if I used the wrong word, but I don't have the gpsmap 67, but thinking to get one and I was just thinking what possible issues could be there with a new released device and if somebody could tell me about it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Given the opportunity to swap a GPSMAP 66sr for a GPSMAP 67 for no additional fees, I would take that deal every time.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Personally, I won't change the 66sr for the 67, it's a restricted GPS like the Montana 700, you can't put a personal card except the KMZ, my 66sr is patched to be able to read JNXs and IMGs of my manufacture , it doesn't have USB mass storage so you can't do anything on a PC. After each chosen according to its use of course.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

mimichris wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:08 pm Personally, I won't change the 66sr for the 67, it's a restricted GPS like the Montana 700, you can't put a personal card except the KMZ, my 66sr is patched to be able to read JNXs and IMGs of my manufacture , it doesn't have USB mass storage so you can't do anything on a PC. After each chosen according to its use of course.
But you have to be fair, that such patches are not official. So the 66sr is the same way "restricted" as the 67 or Montana. And since the author died, it's likely, that at some point it will stop to work for future firmware variants.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Marko

Unread post by Marko »

I cannot understand why the main new factor of the new GPS Units is neglected, since my first impressions about the new Garmin handhelds eTrex SE and GPSMap 67 was: oh gosh! What an astonishingly great 7 days autonomy!
And, from my point of view, this is exactly the revoultionary thing - equal to release of the colorful mapping handhelds at the 2006-ties, GPSMap 60 CSX and eTrex Vista HCx.

Having this in mind, may the testers tell us what's about field battery life?
Is ultra-long battery life a real game changer or is 180 hours battery life in GPS Mode only a marketing trick?
What is in fact the 180h in "default mode" or "GPS Mode" means? Is it somehow affected by the track recording?
Is it possible to record the track to have more than 100h autonomy?

I watched all new films about GPSMap 67 and eTrex SE, and anyone even mentioned battery consumption... What's the point?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:14 pm Given the opportunity to swap a GPSMAP 66sr for a GPSMAP 67 for no additional fees, I would take that deal every time.
I am just really sceptical about the battery life, is there really no drawback? Having Beidou and USB-C is really nice, but did they change maybe the accuracy of the unit? I saw on a video on youtube, that the gpsmap 67i didn't reach the 6ft mark anymore, instead it was on 7ft and not lower, still it did great in diffcult environment due to Multi-band. Also if I google for some photos of the gpsmap 67 unit, the accuracy is showed at 2m and not lower. It is probably no dealbreaker, because 1.8m or 2m is no difference if you don't do some science with that device.

But I think it is natural to ask how Garmin achieved such a significant longer battery life. Since the marketing section did a bad job with sloppy descriptions about Birdseye and using fake screen from Montana in their videos, there is a bad taste left if everything is correct what they are writing about this unit.

I really don't want to do here some conspiracy theories, but the trust is a bit damaged by the marketing section of garmin. The marketing section have to be more careful and not undermine the work of their engineers.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

At first, I was really excited when I saw the Garmin video about the 67 and 67i. Now, after having all the errors pointed out, not so much. What's with that sloppiness? I have to agree with Gadwin. My excitement has now become skepticism.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Just an FYI for the 'doubters'.

We are currently performing a premature battery runtime test on our GPSMAP 67, and the results are looking very good. After nearly 24 hours of recording tracklog at one track point every minute, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and the Electronic Compass all enabled, and with occasional use for other purposes, the battery has dropped from 100% to 85%.

This is less than 1% battery drain per hour (0.69% per hour to be exact). Should the remainder of the test follow suit, that should get us about 144 hours. Not the 180 hours advertised, but we are testing with wireless radios and magnetic compass enabled.

UPDATE 25MAR23:

Our GPSMAP 67 continues to perform flawlessly. We are using for tracking at one minute intervals, we have loaded TopoActive maps via Wi-Fi, we are in constant Bluetooth connection with our phone, have loaded and updated Connect IQ apps, widgets and data fields, etc.

The Recording Controls page shows a cumulative tracklog with 6450 track points, and a running recorded time of 107 hrs, 28 minutes. The battery reports 25% capacity remaining.

Of course, if we had all wireless radios disabled and GPS system set to GPS Only, this test may take yet another week to complete!

UPDATE 26MAR23:

We checked on our GPSMAP 67 today and found it reporting only 1% battery life remaining, so we saved the active tracklog recording and analyzed it on our PC. Here are the results for this test, which included all wireless radios enabled, compass enabled, Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band enabled, and track log recording at 1 point per minute:

Total tracklog points were 7993, which equates to 133 hours and 12 minutes, or 5 days, 13 hours, and 12 minutes of run time, from 100% battery to 1% battery.

More testing will be performed once a more mature firmware has been published, with and without various consumers enabled.

Note: We have also been testing an eTrex SE with basic Alkaline batteries installed, tracking at one point per second, and currently it is showing 112 hours with all four battery bars still displayed. (please direct all eTrex SE comments to eTrex SE forum)

Return to “GPSMAP 67”