Thoughts about GPSMAP 67?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Marko

Re: Thoughts about GPSMAP 67?

Unread post by Marko »

@GPSrChive
That's great, thank you!
Anyway, let me drop a little hint: it might happen that after 2 minutes of inactivity, your GPSMAP 67 may be switched off and gone into an 'expedition mode', lost track points details which are recorded just every 10 minutes since then.
Therefore, can you check the track record registered in you 'window's sill' test afterwards? I just wonder if all 1 sec. points were being recorded.

Also, let me mention a YT test on which at timecode 12:45 author mentioned also 2% battery drain per each 2 hours on the 'window's sill' test but for the previous GPSMAP 66i unit!
Link to the GPSMAP 66i battery test:
Spoiler
I am therefore confused, since Garmin claims only 35 hours of battery life for 66i and 5-times more, 180 hours for 67! Is the test condition somehow affects the tests' results, isn't it?
Truthfully saying, this video is the real reason why I am doubtful about how Garmin starter to claim 'battery life' for new handhelds 67 and eTrex SE. I might be wrong, but it seems that rights now it may not reflect real field condition (e.g. detailed GPS tracking)...
Couldn't it be possible for you to provide real 'field battery test' and compare the results from the 'window's sill' test?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Marko wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am @GPSrChive
That's great, thank you!
Our pleasure!

Marko wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am Anyway, let me drop a little hint: it might happen that after 2 minutes of inactivity, your GPSMAP 67 may be switched off and gone into an 'expedition mode', lost track points details which are recorded just every 10 minutes since then.
Therefore, can you check the track record registered in you 'window's sill' test afterwards? I just wonder if all 1 sec. points were being recorded.
We are very familiar with Expedition Mode, and it has been disabled for this test. New track points are being recorded every single minute.

Marko wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am Also, let me mention a YT test on which at timecode 12:45 author mentioned also 2% battery drain per each 2 hours on the 'window's sill' test but for the previous GPSMAP 66i unit!
Link to the GPSMAP 66i battery test:
Spoiler
The information shared in that video can also be found at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66i > Operation > Power Supply > Maximizing Battery Life.

They provided very little information regarding the 'window sill test' they performed. Our best test result was just over 50 hours with tracking enabled, which is about 2% battery usage per hour. We can only assume from the figures they quote that they had all communication and tracking disabled for their test, with their GPSMAP 66i doing absolutely nothing during those two hours.

Marko wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:12 am I am therefore confused, since Garmin claims only 35 hours of battery life for 66i and 5-times more, 180 hours for 67! Is the test condition somehow affects the tests' results, isn't it?
Truthfully saying, this video is the real reason why I am doubtful about how Garmin starter to claim 'battery life' for new handhelds 67 and eTrex SE. I might be wrong, but it seems that rights now it may not reflect real field condition (e.g. detailed GPS tracking)...
Couldn't it be possible for you to provide real 'field battery test' and compare the results from the 'window's sill' test?
Just as our GPSMAP 66i Battery Test Results are available at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66i > Operation > Power Supply > Battery Test, so too will we publish our test results for the GPSMAP 67/67i at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Operation > Power Supply > Battery Test when they are completed.
Marko

Unread post by Marko »

Thanks you, I did not noticed your battery tests'.
Current GPSMap 67 test results looks promising.
We should bear in mind nonlinear discharge characteristic in time, though.
Keep on doing your great and helpful tests', and I am looking forward for the final tests' results.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:28 pm We are currently performing a premature battery runtime test on our GPSMAP 67, and the results are looking very good. After nearly 24 hours of recording tracklog at one track point every minute, with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and the Electronic Compass all enabled, and with occasional use for other purposes, the battery has dropped from 100% to 85%.

This is less than 1% battery drain per hour (0.69% per hour to be exact). Should the remainder of the test follow suit, that should get us about 144 hours. Not the 180 hours advertised, but we are testing with wireless radios and magnetic compass enabled.

Just an FYI for the 'doubters'.
That's sounds great, but is that in the normal Multi-GNSS/Multi-Band mode or in GPS only mode? Did you notice somethingh about the change of accuracy in general?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Gadwin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:22 am That's sounds great, but is that in the normal Multi-GNSS/Multi-Band mode or in GPS only mode? Did you notice somethingh about the change of accuracy in general?
Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band are enabled with no accuracy issues observed. Full details will be available when tests are completed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Marko

Unread post by Marko »

Thanks for your efforts!
You've made me, a 'skeptic Thomas' to believe.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Yes, indeed. Is it true, that the accuracy is even better than 1.8m? I read here in another topic, that somebody reported about 1.6m.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We wouldn't get to hung up on potential accuracy, should be about the same as the 66sr/65s models. Our GPSMAP 67 has reported 5ft, which is 1.6m.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

What really matters is the precision of the layout, the precision of the follow-up, in open terrain as in the city, that's where sometimes it's not excellent even with the 66sr.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”