GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
scotte

Re: GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP?

Unread post by scotte »

This is a huge disappointment and is a user-hostile move by Garmin. I guess they could add it via a future firmware update, as this is not a hardware limitation, but it doesn't seem likely. One can only hope...
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

Regarding MTP vs mass storage mode, I remember reading that Android used to do mass storage mode over USB, but dropped it in favor of MTP only. The main reason was that mass storage mode requires exclusive access to the file system, and MTP mode does not. If your phone is connected to a PC in mass storage mode, nothing else could be running on the phone at that time.

My GPSMAP 66sr does that - when I connect to a PC over USB, it is doing mass storage mode and nothing else. The keypad is dead, etc.

A second reason was that to implement mass storage mode while hiding access to system files required a partitioned storage device, with all user accessible files on one partition. This is less flexible, as you can run out of space on either side.

These might be reasons Garmin is moving to only MTP. So I wonder: if you connect your GPSMAP 67 to a PC, using MTP mode, does the GPSMAP still 'work' normally? If so, I think going to MTP would not be all that bad.
Grispoil61

Unread post by Grispoil61 »

ljnjtrails wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 am
These might be reasons Garmin is moving to only MTP. So I wonder: if you connect your GPSMAP 67 to a PC, using MTP mode, does the GPSMAP still 'work' normally? If so, I think going to MTP would not be all that bad.
When my GPSMAP 67 is plugged it to my PC, you cannot do anything with the GPS. The screen shows 'Garmin' with the USB trident logo and the keys are inactive.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

scotte wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:27 pm This is a huge disappointment and is a user-hostile move by Garmin. I guess they could add it via a future firmware update, as this is not a hardware limitation, but it doesn't seem likely. One can only hope...
Based on GPSrChive comment, I also don't have high hopes here.
Anyway, we all should report that wish via
Spoiler
ljnjtrails wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 am These might be reasons Garmin is moving to only MTP. So I wonder: if you connect your GPSMAP 67 to a PC, using MTP mode, does the GPSMAP still 'work' normally? If so, I think going to MTP would not be all that bad.
It will behave same as previous models with USB mass storage. If connected to PC, you are not able to use it.

------

Does anyone know, if SD cards on 67 are still formatted with FAT32?
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:51 am Does anyone know, if SD cards on 67 are still formatted with FAT32?
GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Operation > Files & Folders has the answer to your question...

:mrgreen:
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

My smartphone in MTP works well, I see all folders and files, I can delete and add some, but you have to be in USB debug mode, can the 67 have this mode? Otherwise, effectively the internal files of the 67 will never be visible.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:52 am Another mistake by the Garmin team. RINEX is listed on the official spec page, but it is not currently available on the GPSMAP 67 models.
RINEX logging looks to be back in firmware 4.70. At least the option shows in Setup > System, didn't try yet whether it actually logs the RINEX data.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Setup > System and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Specifications pages updated! Thank you for the heads up!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:01 am My smartphone in MTP works well, I see all folders and files, I can delete and add some, but you have to be in USB debug mode, can the 67 have this mode? Otherwise, effectively the internal files of the 67 will never be visible.
The internal file and folder structure is still accessible as indicated at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Operation > Files & Folders.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Either I did not understand anything or I am not familiar with the MTP system, but I read here that you cannot see all the internal files of the 67 in MTP mode.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”