Volume Not Working

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
luvvinbird

Volume Not Working

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Has anyone experienced volume issues for proximity alerts, etc on the GPSMAP 66sr? I've turned on tones and if I put my ear right on the device, I can just barely hear the different tones as I scroll through them. I tried all volume levels from 1-5 with the same result. I also tried different profiles and got the same result. Firmware is the latest 5.70, which has improved satellite reception and the nagging cpe.bin issue but this volume problem is not related. It existed in 5.50 as well. It's not the end of the world for me as it's performance otherwise has been outstanding. I can live with it if the only option is to return the unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Volume Not Working

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do you have any trouble hearing the 'chiiiiiiirp' sound the device makes during each power on sequence?
luvvinbird

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:24 am Do you have any trouble hearing the 'chiiiiiiirp' sound the device makes during each power on sequence?
No. There is no sound when I turn it on. But...I had the full, multi-band satellite package on screen in about two seconds! Love that!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

This is unfortunate.

You either have a speaker issue or you are very hard of hearing.

Can you get it replaced?

Or maybe find someone else with any GPSMAP 66 series and compare it with yours?
luvvinbird

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:46 am This is unfortunate.

You either have a speaker issue or you are very hard of hearing.

Can you get it replaced?

Or maybe find someone else with a 66sr and see if you can hear their device any better first?
Yes, that is pretty much what I expected. I do wear a hearing aid but this is definitely a speaker/volume control issue. Rats. I've only had it just over a month. I know I can return it but I really like everything else it has to offer. Thanks for your response.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:24 am Do you have any trouble hearing the 'chiiiiiiirp' sound the device makes during each power on sequence?

I never noticed any sound, when turning on my device. But I have no issues with proximity alerts etc..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Gadwin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:18 pm

I never noticed any sound, when turning on my device. But I have no issues with proximity alerts etc..
Perhaps I am just hearing a Proximity Alert notification sound on my 66sr when I power it on...
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Perhaps I am just hearing a Proximity Alert notification sound on my 66sr when I power it on...
Just tested right now, there ist clearly no sound when turning it on. Let us know, if you know how to turn it on and off the sound while the booting process.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Gadwin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:26 pm
GPSrChive wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:19 pm

Just tested right now, there ist clearly no sound when turning it on. Let us know, if you know how to turn it on and off the sound while the booting process.
I am pretty certain Gadwin was correct and I am simply hearing a proximity alert when mine boots. You are not missing anything there, but they are reasonably loud with volume set to '5'.
luvvinbird

I just wanted to say, without embarrassing myself too much, that the tones issue on my 66sr is resolved. I guess when you wear a hearing aid for as long as I have you just keep popping a battery into it once a week and assume everything is alright. I wondered why I kept say "what" a lot so I had a volume adjustment and test done on it, and now I hear the tones. But, as others have noted, it is silent when powered on. I still think they could be a touch louder though, lol. Thank you for your concerns and patience. I hate aging!

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”