Why CPE?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

Why CPE?

Unread post by mimichris »

Going back to the CPE, why Garmin did not keep the battery or battery system to record and keep the almanac of the satellites to have a fast acquisition, no need for a CPE file, all commercial GPS have these batteries or battery and it works well, even if you sometimes have to wait a quarter of an hour because the GPS hasn't been turned on for fifteen days.

Because if you have been in nature for a few days and you have no WiFi or Internet or 4G, it is not possible to update this file and you have to wait a very long time to acquire the satellites, big drawback.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Gadwin

Re: Why CPE?

Unread post by Gadwin »

I don't know if it was just a fluke, I didn't test it further. But today my CPE.Bin file was expired and I started my device at my window and even with expired file it found after 30seconds - 1min several GPS and Galileo satellites.

Maybe Firmware 5.70 changed something?

Also if you are in nature and sleeping outside, then activate your automatical turn on option in 66sr. Let it turn on several minutes before you wake up, so it has enough time to adjust. At least you don't have to wait.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”