GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 5.70

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Boom-Stick

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 5.70

Unread post by Boom-Stick »

Looks like the 5.70 update is rolling out here in the UK today, just received the Garmin Express.

On reboot, received multi-GNSS lock within seconds.
chrispt

Unread post by chrispt »

The Search near a city thing is still not working. You can now select the city but when you tap use it takes you back to the main menu.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

I have a problem on my 66sr version 5.70, when I want to see the map by walking around with the arrow on it with the touchpad, the map freezes, impossible to walk around the map.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

chrispt wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:18 pm The Search near a city thing is still not working. You can now select the city but when you tap use it takes you back to the main menu.
mimichris wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 am I have a problem on my 66sr version 5.70, when I want to see the map by walking around with the arrow on it with the touchpad, the map freezes, impossible to walk around the map.
I have not noticed such problems.
All the functions described above work fine on my device.
Only map refresh time is very long after moving the cursor.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

mimichris wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:25 am I have a problem on my 66sr version 5.70, when I want to see the map by walking around with the arrow on it with the touchpad, the map freezes, impossible to walk around the map.
I do not get this behaviour with 5.70. Map pans just fine, although the redrawing is a bit slow (but not slower than other firmware versions it seems). This applies to different maps (TopoActive EU, Freizeitkarte, Speichenkarte, OFM, OpenTopoMap).

Maybe it depends on the map you're using? Does it occur with all maps or just a specific one?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Do you mean the arrow, which appears when you are using the D-pad? That is normal, sorry if you meant something else.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please explain exactly what buttons you are pressing in what order, what the device response is, and what you expect to happen.

If you press the D-PAD while on the map page, the map will no longer auto-pan while you move. You must press the (QUIT) button to return the map to auto-pan behavior.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

I upgraded my GPSMAP 66sr to 5.70 and yes the multi-GNSS/multi-band acquisition works again. But I still seem not to be getting CPE updates via WiFi. I sync'ed once with Explore after the firmware upgrade to replace my expired CPE.BIN, and got one dated Feb 16, and that's the one still on the unit.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Does it wait until CPE.BIN expires before updating, or does it periodically check? How often does it check? How long would you have to keep the GPSMAP on and connected to WiFi before it would check?

I really wish Garmin had included a "Check Now" function. Also would be nice if instead of just "CPE: Current" it gave you the file date, or the expiration date.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

ljnjtrails wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:35 am I really wish Garmin had included a "Check Now" function. Also would be nice if instead of just "CPE: Current" it gave you the file date, or the expiration date.
It is worth submitting a request for this functionality.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

ljnjtrails wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:35 am I upgraded my GPSMAP 66sr to 5.70 and yes the multi-GNSS/multi-band acquisition works again. But I still seem not to be getting CPE updates via WiFi. I sync'ed once with Explore after the firmware upgrade to replace my expired CPE.BIN, and got one dated Feb 16, and that's the one still on the unit.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Does it wait until CPE.BIN expires before updating, or does it periodically check? How often does it check? How long would you have to keep the GPSMAP on and connected to WiFi before it would check?

I really wish Garmin had included a "Check Now" function. Also would be nice if instead of just "CPE: Current" it gave you the file date, or the expiration date.
It updates the CPE.Bin file everytime when you turn on the WiFi on your 66sr and is connected to some WIFI spot. I did it already more than twice and it only takes a minute maybe. I just turned off the WiFi after a minute and checked on the computer files, if it was updated.

Are you sure that the device is really conected with your WiFi? When you writing that you sync'ed with Explorer, you normaly do it via Bluetooth.

Also it won't update via public Wifi Hotspot, at least in germany, because you have to agree on some terms, what you can't do on 66sr.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”