Groundspeak Destroys Benchmarking Database

Discussion related to Benchmarking activities
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Groundspeak Destroys Benchmarking Database

Unread post by GPSrChive »

For more than two decades, Groundspeak have provided a dedicated interface supporting Benchmark hunting activities, allowing users to search, download and log their finds just like they do with geocaches. All logs, photos, notes and comments were preserved for future reference by anyone so inclined, which commonly included the USGS (United States Geological Survey) seeking updated information for their database.
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page AUG 2002
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page Snippet 2002-08.png
Unlike geocaches that frequently come and go with lifespans commonly measured in months, Benchmarks have been around for more than a hundred years, and most are still available to find to this day.

As of December 30, 2022, Benchmark hunters had posted nearly a quarter million logs documenting more than 165 thousand benchmark finds, representing a culmination of an unquantifiable commitment of personal resources over two decades time.
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page DEC 2022
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page Snippet 2022-12.png
And on January 4, 2023, Groundspeak removed all Benchmark support from their website, simultaneously destroying more than 20 years of documented history. All logs, photos and notes shared by the very people that helped make Groundspeak what they are today are no more.
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page JAN 2023
Groundspeak Benchmark Home Page Snippet 2023-01.png
While multiple reasons for this decision were provided upon request, many of which were deemed questionable at best, and while many users provided a wide selection of alternative solutions, pleading with Groundspeak the entire time to preserve more than 20 years of crowdsourced data, it was all for not as everyone's requests had fallen on deaf ears.

The powers that be at Groundspeak have determined the commitment and time so many contributed over the past two decades no longer had any value to them, and as such, they have discarded it like unwanted garbage.
Groundspeak Forum - Benchmark Retirement Announcement
Like so many, we were not aware of this unimaginable decision until attempting to find a specific Benchmark in the Groundspeak database, and were left speechless, saddened, and with an empty feeling inside, simply unable comprehend what had happened.

But even without Groundspeaks support, Benchmarks are still waiting to be found all over the world. They can still be loaded to your Garmin GPSr just like geocaches to make the entire process more enjoyable, and they can still be logged on their respective hosting websites.

Please visit GPSrChive > How To... > Benchmark for detailed information!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scotte

Re: Groundspeak Destroys Benchmarking Database

Unread post by scotte »

Wow. I wonder if it's because Groundspeak doesn't "own" benchmark data so they can't really monetize it as they have done for caches ("premium" caches that only paying members can log). I was very disappointed to see the competitors such as OpenCaching not make it (challenges with multi listings noted). Groundspeak needs competition, they have too much control over the concept of geocaching. I say that as a paying customer.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I missed the announcement from Groundspeak somehow. But thanks to your How To page, I now have successfully downloaded the NGS state archive datasheets I want and then used NGS>GPX to convert to a /gpx file and load into GSAK. But I have one issue with the resulting display of these on my 66sr.

There must not be a symbol loaded on the GPSr for Benchmarks. They display just fine in GSAK as seen in the attached screenshot. But on the GPSr they show as the old, large, treasure chest for a regular geocache. Is there is an easy, quick way to fix this or do I need to add a custom symbol to my custom symbol file to get the same symbol shown in GSAK to show on my 66sr? If I need to do it with the custom symbol file, it has been so log since I previously did it, I remember nothing about the process of adding a new symbol and what to name it so it is picked up correctly by the Benchmark type.

It seems odd that there is not a default symbol for benchmarks on the GPSr.
symbols
Screenshot 2023-02-14 152811.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CheminerWill

I did try simply downloading and extracting the classic 16x "Additional Geocaching Symbols" file from your repository here. Then copying the Benchmark symbol from that to my Garmin\CustomSymbols\ directory hoping the 66sr would just pick it up from there but it does not.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You are almost there, Will!

Rename it to 'Geocache.bmp'.

This step is mentioned multiple times on the Benchmarking page.

Rename
Screenshot_20230214-172957_Chrome.jpg

:mrgreen:
CheminerWill

Thanks. I missed that somehow although it is pretty obvious now that I looked again. Now everything is working as I want. And I have backed up the GPSr so that I don't lose anything if I have an issue like I recently did. I had a custom symbol file on my computer, but it was not the latest version I guess because a couple were missing including this one.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I hope you enjoy logging Benchmark finds on the 66sr!

I also hope you exported them in GGZ format?

I suspect you may already have a found Benchmark database in GSAK. No more logging on groundspeak, but you can include them as part of the My finds export from GSAK.

Let me know if you need any help with that part ;)
CheminerWill

Yeah I have a very few benchmarks from the years past, but I never loaded benchmarks as geocaches so they show on the GPSr. I just logged probably 20% of the ones I came across randomly. Actually, I just checked. Even though I am sure I have come across at least 20 or 30 benchmarks over the years, I only logged 4 of them.

Yes, I exported the NGS Data Sheets I loaded into GSAK out to the 66 in GGZ format. I did that mainly for the same reason I export my large Oregon geocache file in GGZ. Are there advantages of GGZ particular to benchmarks different than geocaches? I do keep my personal waypoints in a GPX file, but I don't really use those for anything other than navigation and the file is pretty small.

I do have a Benchmark db in GSAK. I planned to mark the ones I find as found and then copy them to my "My Finds" db. I may also put them on Waymarking, we'll see. I never was that interested in Waymarking though for some reason. Never got into that other thing either, Munzee, although I did try it briefly when it was new.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Never could get interested in waymarking here either. Or munzee.

Very much like the historical significance many benchmarks hold, plus you can check your device accuracy against them!

Loading Benchmarks in GGZ format saves limited GPX capacity for tracks routes and personal waypoints!

Return to “Benchmarking”