66sr no longer connecting to computer

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
caileanmor

Re: 66sr no longer connecting to computer

Unread post by caileanmor »

Update to last posting. I did a factory reset and it did make a big difference. I was able to connect and get my 66sr recognised as a storage device by Win 11. However Garmin Express did not see the 66sr and Garmin Basecamp saw a storage device but no name/serial no. etc. I deleted the device from Express and tried to look for it again but it couldn't find it. I then uninstalled Basecamp then downloaded it again and hey-presto both Basecamp and Express recognised the unit as they should do. At the moment the following is what works after the factory reset.
- switch on the 66sr and let it settle then switch it off.
- shut down the laptop.
- plug the 66sr into the laptop.
- switch on the laptop
- if all goes well the 66sr will be connected. If it doesn't just try again. If there is any "hiccup" while this is happening it won't connect.
I've just checked a few minutes ago and this worked so I quickly put it away and won't bring it out till I need it next. All I've got to do now is figure out how my 66sr was configured!
Obviously this is what happens with my 66sr and laptop and there's no guarantee it'll work for any other combination.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I wonder how much of this may be windows 11 related for you? I read somewhere that windows 12 development is being rushed due to so many issues with 11. I am avoiding windows 11 like the plague.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I have Windows 11 and have experienced zero problems with my 66sr or any of my other devices. Garmin Express works as it should, etc. I'm surprised to hear your last comment as Windows 11 has been working great for me in every way, GPS-wise or otherwise.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

There are numerous reports of unsupported driver issues as well as many features from windows 10 that are not present in windows 11 that may have no bearing for some users, but I use my PC for so many purposes I need to stick with what I know works for a long a I can.

Also, a recently released leak of windows 12 suggests many windows 10 features not found in windows 11 will be returning.

I hope we will find out sooner rather than later.
ArildDJ

Unread post by ArildDJ »

I’m not quite shore if should post this here or in the «GPSMAP 66sr Firmware 5.70» thread?!

After updating from 5.50 to 5.70 by Garmin Express, my 66sr would not connect to computer as normal. Also, the startup is kind of strange. Every second time the startup results in shutting down after a while. Next time it will boot up and start working properly.

Only way to get it in Mass Storage is by forcing it with «up arrow» and and holding on/off key to «Garmin» logo is shown. Still pressing the up arrow to the Mass Storage logo is shown.

Any suggestions to this problem?

- Arild
Last edited by ArildDJ on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You may need to try a Master Reset.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Troubleshooting.
ArildDJ

Unread post by ArildDJ »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:48 pm You may need to try a Master Reset.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Troubleshooting.
I already did Master Reset two times just to be shore but without any success ;)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Bummer! We have not yet seen this issue so have no real world experience to draw from, unfortunately.

New cables and a different computer....
ArildDJ

Unread post by ArildDJ »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:09 pm Bummer! We have not yet seen this issue so have no real world experience to draw from, unfortunately.

New cables and a different computer....
I have tried different cables, computer but nothing works.

Also tried to downgrade to 5.50. The 66sr won't work thru the installation and just shutting down and going in loop. Every second time it ask if I will install but the next reboot it just shutting down. To get out of this I have to force Mass Storage and delete the gupdate.gcd file.

Pretty annoying… :?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Most unfortunate... May have to get Garmin involved now. :cry:

Contact info at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Troubleshooting.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”