confused about number of maps

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
sky-eye

confused about number of maps

Unread post by sky-eye »

I am trying different ways to accomodate maps on the 66i.

Few things are strange. I have a SD card with 12 .img files on it. This works well in 62s and 64s. The only thing there is that 4 of the mapfiles can be .img, the others have to be renamed. But over all, this works.

In 66i however, this does not work this way, it looks like it can accept only one .img file and even this does crash sometimes.

I have tried some smaller files, but I can only keep active few of them. In fact, I can put them all in .img format on the SD, but when I look in the list on the 66i, abt 16 files are listed in addtion to the once preinstalled on the device.

Even if I deactivate some of the files by 'switching them off'' on the device, some files which are not listed will be found when zooming in to particular position, while other are not found and zooming therefore not possible.

Not sure where the problem is, from the table under Maps, 66i is supposed to handle more maps in fact. But opposite seems to be true?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: confused about number of maps

Unread post by GPSrChive »

sky-eye wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm I am trying different ways to accomodate maps on the 66i.

Few things are strange. I have a SD card with 12 .img files on it. This works well in 62s and 64s. The only thing there is that 4 of the mapfiles can be .img, the others have to be renamed. But over all, this works.
This is very confusing to me.

You have 12 "'amps' on the microSD card, but only four are *.img format. WHat format are the others? What do you mean they have to be renamed? From what? To What?

Gonna need specific details here to help you.

sky-eye wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm In 66i however, this does not work this way, it looks like it can accept only one .img file and even this does crash sometimes.
This is incorrect. The GPSMAP series can handle many individual *.img map files loaded to both the internal memory and microSD card when present.

My GPSMAP 66 devices all have a 'standard load' of ~ 22 individual *.img maps, including the gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img files.

sky-eye wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm I have tried some smaller files, but I can only keep active few of them. In fact, I can put them all in .img format on the SD, but when I look in the list on the 66i, abt 16 files are listed in addtion to the once preinstalled on the device.
How about making a detailed list of all the map files loaded to the internal memory, and all the map files loaded to the microSD card (using their exact filenames as loaded), and then make a list of maps available in the Map Setup menu on the device. Screen captures from your computer and the device would work very well here and avoid any typos.

sky-eye wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm Even if I deactivate some of the files by 'switching them off'' on the device, some files which are not listed will be found when zooming in to particular position, while other are not found and zooming therefore not possible.
I suspect here that you may have multiple *.img maps that all identify as the same map 'internally'. If so, they will all be enabled and disabled together as a single map, and likely only the first map using this internal ID will be listed in the device map setup menu.

sky-eye wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm Not sure where the problem is, from the table under Maps, 66i is supposed to handle more maps in fact. But opposite seems to be true?
The opposite is not true. THe only limit we are aware of is the total map segments that can be indexed. If all your maps combined were to exceed this limit, some of them may only be displayed partially, or not at all.
sky-eye

Unread post by sky-eye »

well, confusing, but we work with 62s and 64s as long as they exist.

They have no internal map files on them.
Maps are on Sd card. On the 62s here, I have 12 Files, covering the world in slightly reduced OSM.
To be able to use them in 62s, only 4 files can be .img
The others are renamed to let say .xxx
Thus only the 4 .img files are recognized and the rest is not used.

When user travels to place which is not covered by the 4 .img files, he will rename some of the .img to .xxx and the desired .xxx to .img. By this he will switch on the desired map for the use on his device.

This is standard procedure in our org for many years now.

When it comes to 66i, all looks similar first, but does not work as expected. I can keep one map file as .img, the rest has to be renamed otherwise the 66i will crash, meaning it comes into a boot loop and it has to be switched off by loooong press of power button.

What is the aim? Same or similar behavior as with 62s and 64s. We use Inreach otherwise since Delorme times and the idea is now to replace those Delorme and 62s/64s with 66i.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I understand better now.

I can tell you that older Garmin devices were much more forgiving with 'messy' third party maps, and modern models are much less so.

The maps are the issue, but without knowing which they are, I can do little more to help.

You might check the GPSrChive Software page for links to some JaVaWa programs, especially Device Manager, which will read all data on the 66i and microSD card, and report any issues it can identify.
sky-eye

Unread post by sky-eye »

Thanks, will look for the device manager

It is kind of long time ago when I was creating map files myself, with all that Javawa and conversion and layers etc.

Today I am 'consuming' because I have to train completely unexperienced maintenance people to get maps time to time from somewhere, then write instruction as simple as possible.

I am using Computerteddy, OTM (open topo maps) and alternativaslibres as source. The maps for 62s were all done from Computerteddy, all did work there so far.

When I find what I am doing wrong, I will report it here.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You could disable all of them using the *.xxx extension, then enable one at a time and reboot to see when the issue occurs.
sky-eye

Unread post by sky-eye »

just some more Q:

how do I count the number of segments? How do I know how many segments a particular map contains? Is there any tool to find out?

I am using MapSource to create maps for the 66i, but this seems to give number of maps, but not of segments
GPSrChive
Site Admin

sky-eye wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:29 pm just some more Q:

how do I count the number of segments? How do I know how many segments a particular map contains? Is there any tool to find out?
Yes!
GPSrChive wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:16 am You might check the GPSrChive Software page for links to some JaVaWa programs, especially Device Manager, which will read all data on the 66i and microSD card, and report any issues it can identify.
sky-eye wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:29 pm I am using MapSource to create maps for the 66i, but this seems to give number of maps, but not of segments
I personally would not use MapSource to create maps for any Mass Storage Device, as MapSource is not written for them. BaseCamp and MapInstall would be much better suited for the GPSMAP 66i.

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”