66sr Multi-GNSS Poor Performance [Bug 66]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
luvvinbird

Re: 66sr Multi-GNSS Poor Performance [Bug 66]

Unread post by luvvinbird »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:03 pm "...20 minutes into the future..."
As much as I enjoy this great and truly helpful website, I really wish you'd stop teasing us about the 66sr. It's apparent to me and probably many others that you know something. Anything to share? Please?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have the greatest confidence that after the next firmware update is released for the GPSMAP 66sr, this problem will no longer be a problem. And no, not even Garmin knows when that will be. Could be later today, could be next month.
luvvinbird

Thank you! I just ordered one.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

luvvinbird wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 pm Thank you! I just ordered one.
Congratulations!

Of all the Garmin Outdoor Recreation handheld pushbutton devices currently available, this is surely my favorite!

You will not be disappointed.
luvvinbird

Ha Ha. Seriously, I've always wanted one anyway. When I read about the work-around for multi band satellite reception I was eager to get it. I actually ordered it earlier this week. As frustrating as some of their products can be, I am still a fan of Garmin and of GPSrChive, of course!
geri09

Unread post by geri09 »

Same problem here in Austria/Europe. I bought a 66sr and most of the time I can´t get a connection to any satellite when I turn on my 66sr with activated "multiGNSS" and "Multiband". At first i thought it was a hardware error, complained to Garmin and got a brand new replacement device which had exactly the same error.

When I disable "multiGNSS" and "Multiband" in this situation and use "GPS only" the device immediatly finds satellits and my location. Once the location has been found, "multiGNSS" and "Multiband" can be activated again in the next step without any restarting of the device. The relevant satellites are now also found promptly.

I contacted Garmin Germany and was told that the problem is known, but no statement can be made as to when this bug will be solved by new software/firmware.

How does Garmin handle the releases of their software/firmware, are there intervals here? Can anyone tell me when can we expect new software/firmware for the GPSMAP66sr to be available?
Matijs

Unread post by Matijs »

luvvinbird wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 pm Thank you! I just ordered one.
Hey Luvvinbird,
you will not be disappointed I think, apart from everything I faced in my journey I think now it's running pretty stable but the initial part can be a struggle sometimes.

Tip:
when you want to add a separate microSD card, order a low speed card (so a class 10 U1 card).
Got a high endurance card first, then sandisk extreme (both high speed cards) but got some replies from Garmin that they do not support these cards, and that issues may appear in copying maps from basecamp etc.
So don't go for the more expensive ones but buy this lowspeed card from the beginning (it's 6€ vs 10€ on amazon fi if you buy sandisk, so not a huge difference).

Get yourself a separate card reader to transfer maps / birdseye images from basecamp
(better/faster is to transfer maps simply by copying the .img files into the garmin folder on your SD card rather than installing from basecamp (had some issues with that which are not resolved currently...especially larger maps fail).

get to know the GPS / MultiGNSS workaround and don't get too frustrated if you startup the device in multignss and no satellites can be located.
By now, a well known bug (also for Garmin) so we're all awaiting the firmware fix that should solve this.

Enjoy your garmin device and all hikes you do with it!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

geri09 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 pm How does Garmin handle the releases of their software/firmware, are there intervals here? Can anyone tell me when can we expect new software/firmware for the GPSMAP66sr to be available?
If you read all the posts in this thread you would already have this answer.
geri09

Unread post by geri09 »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:41 pm
geri09 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 pm How does Garmin handle the releases of their software/firmware, are there intervals here? Can anyone tell me when can we expect new software/firmware for the GPSMAP66sr to be available?
I have read the previous posts! Unfortunately, my English is not the best and therefore I do not understand everything so perfectly. So sorry!

An answer when a corresponding software//firmware is published by Garmin I could not find out.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

geri09 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:00 pm
GPSrChive wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:41 pm
I have read the previous posts! Unfortunately, my English is not the best and therefore I do not understand everything so perfectly. So sorry!

An answer when a corresponding software//firmware is published by Garmin I could not find out.
My apologies!

Here is the post from above:
GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm I have the greatest confidence that after the next firmware update is released for the GPSMAP 66sr, this problem will no longer be a problem. And no, not even Garmin knows when that will be. Could be later today, could be next month.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”