TopoActive North America Map Update 2022.20

Discussion related to all Garmin Topo and TopoActive map products
luvvinbird

TopoActive North America Map Update 2022.20

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I just updated the TopoActive maps on my 64sx via Garmin Express. It looks like they forgot about Canada in their latest NA update. Everything is fine south of the border but no Canada. Last time I checked, we were part of NA, lol. Just a blank screen where Canada was. I can't find where I live in Ontario anymore! The base map works but no detailed maps. Good ole' Garmin. Think I'll wait before I update my 65s.
luvvinbird

Re: TopoActive North America Map Update 2022.20

Update. I did a chat with Garmin Canada support this morning. At their request, I disabled my PC's screen saver and sleep timer, etc. and downloaded the maps via Garmin Express. The result was the same. Canada was reduced to base map only. I then called Garmin support and spoke to a support staff member who confirmed that detailed mapping of Canada was also missing on his device. He had just recently updated his 66i. He panned into Canada and saw for himself. A ticket was created and I'll have to wait and see what happens.
luvvinbird

Update. I received an email from Garmin Product Support indicating that the "missing Canada map" issue has been resolved and the maps now include the Canada/Alaska region. I reinstalled the map onto my 64sx and confirmed that the issue is indeed resolved. I haven't updated my 65s as yet but I'm confident the new version TopoActive maps will include Canada.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

My map update got stuck at 54.5% - I'm going to let it sit there for a couple of more hours, but it doesn't look too promising. :-/
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

scotte wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:55 pm My map update got stuck at 54.5% - I'm going to let it sit there for a couple of more hours, but it doesn't look too promising. :-/
Should have mentioned - Montana 700i.

Finally pulled the plug. Looks like it might have been a space problem, even though I previously had both TopoActive and CityNavigator installed on internal storage, there wasn't much free space. The failed attempt deleted the old version of TopoActive and then hung (task manager confirmed no disk activity). On the retry, it would not let me install TopoActive to internal storage, so I selected the SD card and it continued fine.

So, if anyone comes across this, and like me had both map products on internal storage (which was already a tight fit), be warned and remove from internal storage first, then install to SD card as it doesn't seem like Garmin Express estimates required space very well. I know I'm not the first person to have a failed map upgrade on internal storage.

Return to “Garmin Topo Maps”