When I connect the 66sr to a PC the 66sr shuts down.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

When I connect the 66sr to a PC the 66sr shuts down.

Unread post by mimichris »

I have a problem on my 66sr, when I connect it to the PC (or smartphone), it connects normally then as soon as the 66sr directories appear on the PC (or smartphone), the 66sr shuts down. When it first happened to me I did a hard reset and it was back to normal, but today I connect it to my PC to load a hike, same problem as soon as it connects it goes away. 'off, have you ever had this problem ? Thanks.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Scenicsurfer

Re: When I connect the 66sr to a PC the 66sr shuts down.

Unread post by Scenicsurfer »

SW version:5.50
GPS software version: 2.00.06

I have a similair kind of problem. When I connect my 66sr unpowered to the PC, it starts, connect and after the green light flashes once it switches off. I overcome the issue by powering the 66sr before connecting to the PC. This procedure resolves this unwanted behaviour.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Do you connect the 66sr to your smartphone via a cable or wireless? My first thought was, that it could be a faulty cable or USB plug and your device disconnects shortly. If you disconnect your device it will shut down, what is normal.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

First step: Test on a different computer using a different USB cable.
mimichris

Gadwin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:57 pm Do you connect the 66sr to your smartphone via a cable or wireless? My first thought was, that it could be a faulty cable or USB plug and your device disconnects shortly. If you disconnect your device it will shut down, what is normal.
I connect with a USB-C/USB micro cable so far it has always worked on my smartphone. Except since I have this problem.
mimichris

Gadwin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:57 pm Do you connect the 66sr to your smartphone via a cable or wireless? My first thought was, that it could be a faulty cable or USB plug and your device disconnects shortly. If you disconnect your device it will shut down, what is normal.
I have tried several cables like this.
mimichris

Scenicsurfer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:08 pm SW version:5.50
GPS software version: 2.00.06

I have a similair kind of problem. When I connect my 66sr unpowered to the PC, it starts, connect and after the green light flashes once it switches off. I overcome the issue by powering the 66sr before connecting to the PC. This procedure resolves this unwanted behaviour.
I'm going to try recharging it first to see if that's it.
mimichris

Hiked yesterday, then today I plug it in and it connects fine with my PC, weird....
Bertbeer

Unread post by Bertbeer »

I have observed the same sort of behaviour after updating to version 5.50 in june this year. At first it powered on and after displaying the USB connecting sign it powered off again. Hereafter replugging it mostly gave a succesful connection. I have investigated it with two different PC's, different cables and different ports on the PC's. In all cases the problem existed. At first it was ones in three or four connections but it deteriorated over time and my conclusion was that it was a hardware fault. So I contacted GARMIN which gave me an RMA for inspection of the device. When it was good I would have to pay a not mentioned amount for inspection and transport. Because the device was almost 2 years old and still within waranty I returned it to the shop I bought it from. They have a service department and could possibly repair themselves. However they found the device also defective and returned it to GARMIN. After about a month I received a complete new replacement just the other day.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

And does the new replacement 66sr do the same thing? What firmware version?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”