Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Gadwin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:13 pm Sorry for double post, but I had hunch and looked in another topic about 66s/st. My CPE status is "expired". I synchronized already my device via Garmin Express at the pc, but nothing changed. I think this could solve my problem, if I knew how to change the CPE status from expired.
The GPSrChive CPE page (linked from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Setup > About page) has some information about how it is updated.

Syncing with Garmin Express on a PC with internet connection should get it updated, as should syncing with the Explore App on your phone (if you use that - I try not to).

Maybe you needed to keep it connected a little longer?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Gadwin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:13 pm Sorry for double post, but I had hunch and looked in another topic about 66s/st. My CPE status is "expired". I synchronized already my device via Garmin Express at the pc, but nothing changed. I think this could solve my problem, if I knew how to change the CPE status from expired.
The GPSrChive CPE page (linked from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Setup > About page) has some information about how it is updated.

Syncing with Garmin Express on a PC with internet connection should get it updated, as should syncing with the Explore App on your phone (if you use that - I try not to).

Maybe you needed to keep it connected a little longer?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I don't necessarily think it is a device issue. with my 66st i observe slow Galileo lock since a few days. I also live in Europe (sweden).
GLONASS lock very fast (as often).
GPS locks normally fast but takes a bit longer to lock many satellites.
GALILEO takes many more minutes than normal, i am checking as i write and no Galileo for about 7 minutes so far (usually they show up after 1-2 minutes).

Could there be some issue with Galileo service or some atmospheric disturbances?
Weather is cloudy and rainy at this moment.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Thank you for your feedback, but I think I have still a unique issue? First of all, German Garmin support said, there are no known issues with Galileo, ok, but the support was not really helpful anyway.

Second there is a strange behaviour with my CPE Status: I even downloaded manual the EPO file here
Spoiler
When I turn on my device, first of all the CPE Status is "missing". After finding the first GPS satellites, GLONASS is next and still no galileo, the CPE status is changing to "expired". Is that normal? I don't think so.

This happen everytime, when I turn my device off and on.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

EPO and CPE are not the same.

The 66sr requires the CPE file, not the EPO file.

Without this data, the GPSr must search the sky for possible satellites, one at a time, until a useful signal is found, then it can download constellation data from that satellite (so long as it remains in view long enough) to determine which others may be visible. This process normally requires a minimum of 15 minutes under the best of circumstances. And all this for a single GNSS constellation. This has to be repeated for each constellation (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC, Beidou, etc.)

With the CPE file loaded, this is all completed before the boot process is finished.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

A CPE file was not found on my device. When I synchronized via Garmin Express, there was a EPO file in my GPS folder. So I decided just to put the EPO file manually, because there was already one and to see if something changes if I do it manually.

Is there possibility also to download a CPE file manually?
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have observed similar issues in the past.

Remove all EPO files, reboot device, reconnect, and resync with Express, then retest.

What file was loaded, and to which directory?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

So, my GPS folder contained EPO.bin and nvmem.dat. I removed EPO.bin. Disconnected from pc the device and turned it on, looked for CPE Status, first it was "missing", then after finding GPS satellites and showing my location the CPE status became "expired".

I turned the device off, looked again into the GPS folder, before starting garmin express and there was still only the nvmem.dat file. I started the garmin express and let it synchronize and there is still only the nvmem.dat file, no EPO.bin or CPE file.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Do you have Garmin Connect or Explore app on your phone? Perhaps a sync with one of these will resolve the issue.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Unfortunately I don't have a smartphone... Is it really necessary? I mean, I could ask somebody the next days, but would it be a permanent solution or would I need one for the future?

When I connected my GPSMap 66sr to my Wifi, it generated a EPO.bin file again. So it seems, that not Garmin Express generated it in the first place.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”