Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Gadwin

Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Unread post by Gadwin »

I got my GPSMAP 66sr at november the 18th this year. Since then I used it everyday and turned it everytime off, when I didn't need it. Normally the gpsmap 66sr got instantly a strong signal from GPS, Galileo and very few GLONASS satellites, when I turned it on. Even in my flat, if I stood at a window.

But the last three days, even if I am outside, the device has at the beginning only a weak signal, only receiving a signal from few GPS satellites and one GLONASS satellite. After a minute it has a strong signal and located many GPS satellites and around four GLONASS satellites, but no Galileo satellite. Only after 20minutes, it will receive also a connection to Galileo satellites.

I live in germany.

Device was updated through Garmin Express since the first use.

Is there a solution for this?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Galileo initialization became Slow [Bug 71]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

In Setup > About page on the 66sr, what is Device Software version and GPS Software Version?

You can always try loading an older firmware to see if that resolves the issue. If you do, please let us know which version you loaded and any improvements you observed!

Previous firmware versions are available at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Firmware.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Device Software: 5.50
GPS Software: 2.00.06

Garmin support wrote me, it could be due to the constellation of the satellites. But for 3 days? I will try to downgrade it, if there is no other solution.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Test with current firmware first, then install older version and retest immediately for meaningful results.

Let us know what you find!
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Thank you for the help, I will tell my results in the follow days.

Just want to tell the answer from german garmin support: They literally said, if my device can't receive Galileo Satellite, there are still GPS and GLONASS to receive, what is enough for the functionality of the device.

Eh, ok? Strange answer and strange kind of help. Especially the device does not function as at the beginning. I was really delighted how fast my GPSMap 66sr received a signal with a accuracy of 1.8m. Now it has a initial accuracy of 3m and only after some minutes a accuracy of 1.8m, if I get some GPS satellites with L5, which aren't many and is not even stable the accuracy now. Every Galileo Satellite has E5a, but now I have to wait many many minutes for this.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

ok, I tested with the older Firmware nothing changed, upgraded back, still nothing new. German support is not really helpful, I don't how I could reach the english support, because I was automatical forward onto german support.

So I am pretty disappointed, because the starting experience for the first week was amazing, every cent was worth it. I don't know, if my device works now like an average GPSMap 66sr and I had just some luck at the beginning.

I mean, even in my flat at the window, it found several satellites instantly inclusive galileo and GLONASS. Now I let it sit for several minutes and it found 7 GPS, two of them have L5,no galileo and two GLONASS now. It was definitly no fluke, because it worked everyday at any time with excellent perfomance.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Which 'older' firmware did you test with?

Did the GPS Radio Software change?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Oh I'm sorry, that I didn't mention it. I tested it with 5.4, 4.9 and went directly to 3.30. Do you mean by GPS Radio software, the GPS software-version? No, it didn't. I looked up, it is not possible to change it, right?
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Sorry for double post, but I had hunch and looked in another topic about 66s/st. My CPE status is "expired". I synchronized already my device via Garmin Express at the pc, but nothing changed. I think this could solve my problem, if I knew how to change the CPE status from expired.
Last edited by Gadwin on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Gadwin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:45 pm Oh I'm sorry, that I didn't mention it. I tested it with 5.4, 4.9 and went directly to 3.30. Do you mean by GPS Radio software, the GPS software-version? No, it didn't. I looked up, it is not possible to change it, right?
At this time there is no known method for backdating the GPS Chipset Software version, as it appears to be baked into the firmware updates. Wasn't sure if installing older firmware would affect this also, but it appears it does not.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”