Vibration issues with SD card ?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPSr
steerage250

Vibration issues with SD card ?

Unread post by steerage250 »

I took my 66i on a 6 day trip in my 94 year old vintage car. It was attached with a RAM suction mount to the windscreen. The suspension in the car is not good, and the GPSr vibrated around quite vigorously.

On probably half a dozen occasions, it obviously lost communications with my map on the SD card and "weird sh&t happened". I usually had to power cycle it to recover.
  • Has anyone else noticed any susceptability of the SD card to vibration?
I hate to think what's going to happen when it's on the handlebars of my mountain bike on a rough track.
steerage250

Re: Vibration issues with SD card ?

Another multi-day trip in the old car, and the same problem occured (ie intermittent loss of the maps stored on the SD card - and consequent loss of routing).

I stuck some electrical tape on the back of the SD card to give it some extra bulk and put more pressure on the card reader contacts, and it may have helped the problem (but being intermittent, it's hard to say for sure).

I guess I could put the custom map in the GPSr's internal memory, but I like having it on the SD card so that if the custom map results in the GPSr not starting-up, I can just remove the SD card to solve the issue.

No-one else seen this problem?
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

The first thing I would advise is to try with a different SD card.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What is the brand, size and type of micro SD card you are using?
steerage250

The card is unbranded, 32GB HC I and speed class 1
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Do you have any other data on it besides maps? Do you lose access to that data also?

As others suggested, try a different card, and perhaps add a small folded paper under the batteries to help keep the notoriously flimsy micro SD card latch from moving.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Do you have any other data on it besides maps? Do you lose access to that data also?

As others suggested, try a different card, and perhaps add a small folded paper under the batteries to help keep the notoriously flimsy micro SD card latch from moving.
steerage250

No, just the maps are on the SD card.

This is a 66i, hence it has the SD card in the socket in the side under the cover.

I very strongly suspect it is a vibration issue (because I don't have problems hiking, or using it in modern cars with good suspension), hence unless this card is thinner (and hence less contact pressure) than other brands, I suspect changing to a different brand won't solve the problem.

I guess not too many people use them in 94 yo cars :D . Mountain biking might be the more common harsh vibration environment.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

steerage250 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 am ...... hence unless this card is thinner (and hence less contact pressure) than other brands, I suspect changing to a different brand won't solve the problem.
I agree, the use of a different card may not change anything, but to some
extent it will rule out that the card may be the cause of the problem.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

steerage250 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 am This is a 66i, hence it has the SD card in the socket in the side under the cover.
Whoops, missed the "i".

steerage250 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 am I guess not too many people use them in 94 yo cars :D .
Probably not!

Have any photos to share?

Return to “GPSMAP 66i”