WARNING - Outdoor Maps+ May cause device shutdown and will no longer boot [Resolved]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
scotte

WARNING - Outdoor Maps+ May cause device shutdown and will no longer boot [Resolved]

Unread post by scotte »

So I subscribed to Outdoor Maps+ to see how they work after updating my unit to 14.80. After selecting "Check Subscription" my 700i immediately shutdown. Now, it will not boot, shutting down while displaying "Loading maps..." at the bottom of the screen. It's impossible to boot in USB mode to try and clean it up, since the unit still shuts down while booting. Thanks, Garmin. I'm opening a case now.

I would recommend NOT trying to use Outdoor Maps+ at this point.
scotte

Re: WARNING - Outdoor Maps+ May cause device shutdown and will no longer boot [Resolved]

Unread post by scotte »

Forced Mass Storage mode didn't help, nor did removing the SD card (remediation ideas from the Troubleshoot wiki here). I'm not going to do a full reset for now - waiting to hear back from Garmin support.
scotte

Re: WARNING - Outdoor Maps+ May cause device shutdown and will no longer boot [Resolved]

Unread post by scotte »

FYI, the instructions have changed for Forced Mass Storage mode. The process is now:

1. Press and hold the power button while also plugging the USB cable connected to your computer into the Montana.
2. Continue holding the power button until the red light stays on in the upper left of the screen.
3. Press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and let go of the power button.
4. Continue to hold the upper left corner of the screen until the USB symbol appears on device and it mounts to the computer.

Please note that when doing this you should not see it trying to load maps or waypoints, if you see this please restart the process.

This process DID work for me - I was able to mount storage on my computer now. Continuing to debug my unit...
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Issue is resolved!

Despite looking like a local device issue, Garmin identified the issue as something wrong with my account remotely. A server-side fix, of some sort, was applied to my account and I can report that my unit now starts up just fine and I have access to Maps+ content. I never would have suspected this to be an account issue, and I appreciate Garmin's fast response to resolution.

I have updated the title in this reply with this new information. Moderators: Can you edit my previous posts so the correct title appears throughout this thread? Thank you!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

scotte wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:50 pm FYI, the instructions have changed for Forced Mass Storage mode. The process is now:

1. Press and hold the power button while also plugging the USB cable connected to your computer into the Montana.
2. Continue holding the power button until the red light stays on in the upper left of the screen.
3. Press and hold the upper left corner of the screen and let go of the power button.
4. Continue to hold the upper left corner of the screen until the USB symbol appears on device and it mounts to the computer.

Please note that when doing this you should not see it trying to load maps or waypoints, if you see this please restart the process.

This process DID work for me - I was able to mount storage on my computer now. Continuing to debug my unit...
The process listed on the Montana 7x0 Recovery page still works for us.
Forced USB Mass Storage Mode
  • If your Montana 7x0 is freezing or crashing during startup, it is commonly a recently added map, image, gpx or other file that is creating the issue.
  • This procedure forces your Montana 7x0 into USB Mass Storage Mode so that you can delete/remove/rename any recently added files:
1. Remove and reinstall the Montana 7x0 battery pack
2. Press and hold the Power button until the Status LED turns red
3. Release the Power button
4. The Montana 7x0 is now in 'Boot Block' mode, which last about 8 seconds
5. Connect USB cable to enter forced USB Mass Storage Mode
6. Remove or rename any recently added maps, images, gpx or other files that may be causing the issue
7. Disconnect the Montana 7x0 from the USB cable
8. Power the Montana 7x0 on
9. Repeat Steps 1-8 as needed until the Montana 7x0 boots properly
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Curious. Yesterday, when my device was in the state it was in, the method without pressing on the screen did not work - the device still showed "Loading maps..." at the bottom, then crashed.

Today, however, with my unit back to a functioning state, both methods seem to be the same. Very strange - yesterday I did try the method published on the wiki here several times with the same results. It's possible I was doing it wrong multiple times - yet the method Garmin support provided worked immediately.

Perhaps it was just me, I'll go with user error any day of the week. But, perhaps there is some difference - and at least you've got it here in your back pocket should it become useful. Shrug.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The alternate method has been added to the Recovery page!

Return to “Montana 7x0”