Garmin Montana 600 - water damage

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
araujo99

Garmin Montana 600 - water damage

Unread post by araujo99 »

Hello everyone,
I have a Garmin Montana 600 that I use for trail riding with my dirt bike that has served me flawlessly for the last 6 years.
Recently, when I ride in rainy conditions, the Montana starts getting water and humidity in the battery compartment, leaving residual rust on the terminals as well as the screen tends to fog up. A couple of weekends ago I had a big day riding with a lot of rain, sometimes heavy, and the GPS still has condensation under the screen. My friends 680T riding in the same condition ended the day completely dry, not even a drop of water inside.
I have found the screen has a very small crack in it, barely noticeable.
Should I be worried about this? Is there any way to replace the gaskets and the screen on the Montana?

Thanks,
António
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Montana 600 - water damage

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do you have any photos to share?

Some components for the GEN I Montana are available from popular online shopping networks, but it sounds like you may have more than one leak to address.

If you have not already, you may want to view GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Specifications > Behind The Scenes > Garmin Montana Disassembly for a visual walkthrough.
araujo99

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:11 pm Do you have any photos to share?

Some components for the GEN I Montana are available from popular online shopping networks, but it sounds like you may have more than one leak to address.

If you have not already, you may want to view GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Specifications > Behind The Scenes > Garmin Montana Disassembly for a visual walkthrough.
At the moment I don’t have the unit with me, will post some pictures later. Could you give a link to the parts available for the Montana 600? I’ve been searching for them but can’t find anything online.
I have seen that walkthrough, will be doing it so I can replace any seals or parts that might allow water to get in.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Just ran a quick search for 'Garmin Montana 600 parts' and 'Garmin Montana 600 shell' on ebay and found a handful of touchscreen digitizers and LCD panels both separated and assembled for $15 - $150 USD, as well as some outrageously priced body components. In fact, there were several complete and operational Montana 600 units priced lower than some of the replacement parts!

Might be your best option to grab a fully functional used replacement unit, and if in better condition than what you have now, use it and keep the current unit for repair parts.
araujo99

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:21 pm Just ran a quick search for 'Garmin Montana 600 parts' and 'Garmin Montana 600 shell' on ebay and found a handful of touchscreen digitizers and LCD panels both separated and assembled for $15 - $150 USD, as well as some outrageously priced body components. In fact, there were several complete and operational Montana 600 units priced lower than some of the replacement parts!

Might be your best option to grab a fully functional used replacement unit, and if in better condition than what you have now, use it and keep the current unit for repair parts.
Yup, some of the prices are crazy… almost 250€ for the front housing, 120€ for the screen. There are a few Montanas for sale here in Portugal, might go the route you’re saying.
Thanks for the help :D

Return to “Montana 6x0”