Forcing firmware installation 10.2 GPSMAP 66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
gbt0

Forcing firmware installation 10.2 GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by gbt0 »

Hello
I would like to reinstall the GPSMAP 66s firmware 10.2 and refer to the procedure on the site for this GPS model. Everything is normal until gupdate.gcd to RGN_Tool.exe. Then check that the HWID displayed in the RGN_Tool window corresponds to the HWID of the GPSMAP 66s is HWID = 3028. In the RGN_Tool window the HWID check box is not and it is indicated in the field to the right 1101. I didn’t go any further in the process not knowing what to do. Has anyone ever practiced forcing firmware 10.2 on the GPSMAP 66s?
Thank you for your advice

RGN_Tool.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Forcing firmware installation 10.2 GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You should be able to backdate the firmware to a previous version using the GCD Update procedure listed on the Firmware page.

Simply copy and rename the desired update file to [GPSr]\Garmin\gupdate.gcd - and restart the device.
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

I’ve already tried this method but apparently the GPS is not retrograde. It keeps version 10.2 as if it detects that the one already installed is newer than the one we want to install. I have the same problem with Garmin Express. Garmin support told me how to get back to the factory configuration and then let the device search for satellites for at least 25 minutes and then make updates with Garmin express or WebUpdater. The factory config goes well but neither Garmin express nor WebUpdater then offer an update because the GPS remains with its firmware 10.2 as displayed on the GPS info page. It is for these reasons that I seek to force the relocation, I suspect a defective installation that would disturb, without proof, the processing of the reception of satellites. This GPS works perfectly in GPS but continuously loses reception in GPS + Galileo while a second GPSMAP 66s, used together for comparison, works admirably.
Spoiler
J'ai déjà essayé cette méthode mais apparemment le GPS ne rétrograde pas. Il conserve la version 10.2 comme s'il détectait que celle déjà installée est plus récente que celle que l'on veut installer. Je rencontre le même problème avec Garmin express. Le support Garmin m'a indiqué comment revenir à la configuration usine puis de laisser l'appareil rechercher les satellites pendant au moins 25 mn et ensuite d'effectuer les mises à jour avec Garmin express ou WebUpdater. La config usine se passe bien mais ni Garmin express, ni WebUpdater ne proposent ensuite de mise à jour car le GPS reste avec son firmware 10.2 comme l'affiche la page info du GPS. C'est pour ces raisons que je cherche à forcer la réinstallation, je soupçonne une installation défectueuse qui perturberait, sans que j'en ai la preuve, le traitement de la réception des satellites. Ce GPS fonctionne parfaitement en GPS mais perd continuellement la réception en GPS + Galiléo alors qu'un second GPSMAP 66s, utilisé conjointement pour comparaison, fonctionne admirablement.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

gbt0 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:48 pm I’ve already tried this method but apparently the GPS is not retrograde. It keeps version 10.2
Well now I am confused.

You stated:
gbt0 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:22 pm Hello
I would like to reinstall the GPSMAP 66s firmware 10.2
Sounded like you wanted to install Firmware 10.2, but now state it stays at firmware version 10.2.

Please help us understand what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to reload the same firmware version that is already loaded? That will not work.
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

Spoiler
Je n'étais pas certain que la version 10.2 soit installée sans bug. Je voulais donc l'écraser par une installation saine. Comme vous le dites ça ne fonctionne pas. J'ai donc essayé d'installer une version antérieure 10.1 pour ensuite avoir la possibilité d'installer à nouveau la version 10.2 Pour des raisons que je maîtrise pas cela n'a pas été possible, la fenêtre "info" spécifiant toujours que la version installée était encore la 10.2 A la lecture du conseil sur le forum je me suis dit que ce devait être possible et j'ai essayé de nouveau avec la version 9.90 pour rétrograder plus en arrière que la 10.1 et cela a fonctionné. Ensuite j'ai connecté le GPS à Garmin Express qui a proposé puis installé la 10.2. Malgré cela le GPS ne fonctionne pas comme attendu. Le choix "GPS + Galileo" ne fonctionne pas correctement comparé à un autre GPSMAP 66s qui fonctionne parfaitement. j'ai sans cesse des "pertes satellites" lors de l'utilisation alors que le second GPS identique placé à côté n'en a aucune et avec 3 m de précision affichée. Même chose en randonnée, les 2 GPS sur la poitrine. Je soupçonne maintenant un problème matériel ou logiciel de la puce GPS. Pour celle-ci il s'agit de la 2.90, j'ai essayé aussi de revenir en arrière avec la 2.80 toujours pour d'éventuels bugs mais la fenêtre "info" du GPS indique encore 2.90. j'échoue à rétrograder en 2.80. Ceci permettrait ensuite de passer en 2.90 par Garmin Express. Si cette procédure n'améliore pas le fonctionnement il restera à renvoyer le GPS en maintenance chez Garmin. Note : le même problème existe en choix "GPS + Glonass". Cependant en "GPS seul " l'appareil fonctionne parfaitement. Je ne comprends pas pourquoi la perte de réception de satellites Galileo se produit souvent sur ce seul GPS et pas sur l'autre. Ni pourquoi cette perte provoque systématiquement la perte des satellites GPS puis un nouveau cycle de recherche GPS + Galileo qui n'aboutit pas tant que l'on ne repasse pas en choix GPS seul avec un redémarrage obligatoire de l'appareil.
I wasn’t sure if version 10.2 was installed without bugs. So I wanted to overwrite it with a healthy installation. As you say, it’s not working. So I tried to install an earlier version 10.1 and then have the possibility to install again version 10.2 For reasons that I do not know this was not possible, the "info" window always specifying that the installed version was still 10.2 When I read the board on the forum I thought it should be possible and I tried again with version 9.90 to go back further than 10.1 and it worked. Then I connected the GPS to Garmin Express who proposed then installed the 10.2. Despite that the GPS does not work as expected. The choice "GPS + Galileo" does not work correctly compared to another GPSMAP 66s that works perfectly. I constantly have "satellite losses" during use while the second identical GPS placed next to it has none and with 3 m of displayed accuracy. Same thing in hiking, the 2 GPS on the chest. I now suspect a hardware or software problem with the GPS chip. For this one it is the 2.90, I also tried to go back with the 2.80 still for possible bugs but the "info" window of the GPS still shows 2.90. I fail to downgrade to 2.80. This would then move to 2.90 via Garmin Express. If this procedure does not improve the operation, the GPS will have to be returned to Garmin for maintenance. Note: the same problem exists in choice "GPS + Glonass". However in "GPS only" the device works perfectly. I do not understand why the loss of reception of Galileo satellites often occurs on this GPS alone and not on the other. Nor why this loss systematically causes the loss of the GPS satellites then a new search cycle GPS + Galileo that does not end until we go back to GPS choice alone with a mandatory restart of the device.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Did the Setup > About page show EPO: Current?
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

I apologize for having your question repeated in more detail because I don’t understand it. I read and answer through the automatic translator which can change the meaning of the texts. Thank you.
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

I don’t know how to access the requested information by manipulating the GPS but I can read in the Garmin/GPS directory where an EPO.bin file is located. This file is currently on the current date of 12/10/2022.

EPO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

That may be the issue.

You can see current EPO file status on the GPSMAP 66 by viewing the Setup > About page:

Setup - About - About 02b.png

You need to get a current EPO.BIN file on your GPSMAP 66!

See: GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup > About > EPO Status for more information!
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

This page is not available in the “configure” menu of the two GPSMAP 66s (the one that works and the one that fails). There is no “About” in this menu. Only a «Product info» page is available in the «configure» menu which displays the software versions.
GPS have the same “EPO.bin” file in the Garmin/GPS directory. The exchange of one by the other does not change the functioning of the faulty GPS.
Spoiler
Cette page n’est pas disponible dans le menu « configurer » des deux GPSMAP 66s (celui qui fonctionne et celui qui est défaillant). Il n’existe pas de « A propos » dans ce menu. Seule est disponible une page « Infos produit » dans le menu « configurer » qui affiche les versions software.
Les 2 GPS possèdent le même fichier « EPO.bin » dans le répertoire Garmin/GPS. L’échange de l’un par l’autre ne change rien au fonctionnement du GPS défaillant.
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”