Forcing firmware installation 10.2 GPSMAP 66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
gbt0

Re: Forcing firmware installation 10.2 GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by gbt0 »

Apologies for my previous answer, I didn’t know you could scroll down to the “Product Info” page
I found the requested page and indeed the EPO status has expired. What needs to be done to update. Shouldn’t that happen automatically? Thank you for your advice.
Spoiler
Toutes mes excuses pour ma réponse précédente, je ne savais pas que l’on pouvait faire défiler la page « Infos produit »
J’ai trouvé la page demandée et effectivement le statut EPO est expiré. Que faut-il faire pour actualiser. Cela ne devrait-il pas se faire automatiquement ? Merci de vos conseils.

Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If you open GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup > About and Select the EPO Status link on that page, you will likely find the information you seek! (and more)
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

Once “EPO.bin” is replaced the “EPO” status is “Current”. GPSMAP 66s searches for satellites. He finds them and then the displayed accuracy improves up to fifteen meters. After 1 to 3 minutes, the accuracy which was becoming more and more satisfactory suddenly increases to 366 meters, the satellites of the GPS constellation all disappear and the message «Loss satellite reception» appears. I “enter” as requested in the dialog to close it. If I immediately check EPO it has become “Expired”. The GPS then tries to search the satellites again with repeated "Satellite Loss" messages. If I update EPO it goes back to “Current” and then it starts again and so on. Last night, the GPS on surveillance, placed on a table with a view of the sky, worked correctly for 2 hours (from 9:31 pm to 11:43 pm), AMAZING! Then a sudden degradation of precision without my manipulating it. Fewer and fewer satellites displayed in a few seconds then "Lost satellite reception" message. Then he didn’t want to find them again all night, even with restarts. Also this morning until I update EPO and then “Satellite Receiver Loss” after 2-3 minutes and again “EPO = expired”. I could do the update for hours. EPO displays “Expired” again after each “Lost satellite reception” message.
This only happens in GPS + Galileo constellation. There is no loss of reception in GPS constellation only.
I would have liked to reinstall version 2.90 GPS to avoid an installation bug. I tried to downgrade to 2.80 by replacing the file in Garmin RemoteSW 006B331300.gcd and then try to upgrade to 2.90. This does not work, with file 006B331300.gcd version 2.80 the setup always specifies the current 2.90. Going back seems impossible and overwriting by the downloaded version 2.90 file does not change anything either.
Spoiler
Une fois « EPO.bin » remplacé le statut « EPO » est « Actuel ». Le GPSMAP 66s recherche les satellites. Il les trouve puis la précision affichée s’améliore jusqu’à une quinzaine de mètres. Au bout de 1 à 3 minutes la précision qui était de plus en plus satisfaisante passe brusquement à 366 mètres, les satellites de la constellation GPS disparaissent tous et le message « Perte réception satellites » apparaît. Je fais « entrée » comme demandé dans la fenêtre de dialogue pour la fermer. Si je consulte aussitôt EPO il est devenu « Expiré ». Le GPS tente alors de rechercher de nouveau les satellites avec des messages « Pertes satellites » à répétition. Si je remets à jour EPO il redevient « Actuel » puis cela recommence à nouveau et ainsi de suite. Hier soir, le GPS en surveillance, déposé sur une table avec vue sur le ciel, a fonctionné correctement pendant 2 h (de 21 h 31 à 23 h 43), ÉTONNANT ! Puis dégradation soudaine de la précision sans que je ne le manipule. De moins en moins de satellites affichés en quelques secondes puis message « Perte réception satellites ». Ensuite il n’a plus voulu les retrouver de la soirée, même en effectuant des redémarrages. Ce matin non plus jusqu’à ce que je mette à jour EPO puis « Perte de réception satellites » au bout de 2 à 3 minutes et de nouveau « EPO = expiré ». Je pourrais faire la mise à jour pendant des heures. EPO affiche de nouveau « Expiré » après chaque message « Perte réception satellites ».
Cela ne se produit qu’en constellation GPS + Galileo. Il n’y a aucune perte de réception en constellation GPS uniquement.
J’aurais bien voulu réinstaller la version 2.90 GPS pour s’affranchir d’un bug d’installation. J’ai essayé de rétrograder en 2.80 en remplaçant le fichier dans Garmin\RemoteSW\006B331300.gcd pour ensuite tenter une remise à jour en 2.90. Cela ne fonctionne pas, avec le fichier 006B331300.gcd en version 2.80 le setup spécifie toujours le 2.90 en cours. Un retour en arrière semble impossible et l’écrasement par le fichier version 2.90 téléchargé ne change rien non plus au fonctionnement.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Which method are you using to update the EPO to 'Current' before it 'Expires' again two hours later?

What part of the world are you currently located?
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

I followed the instructions of:
Manual EPO Download + Installation
• Should your Garmin GPSr exhibit trouble updating EPO data, follow these steps to manually obtain and install current EPO information:
o Download and unzip Get EPO.
o Run Get EPO.exe.
o A new EPO.BIN file will appear in the same directory (you may have to refresh the directory).
o Copy this file to [GPSr]\Garmin\GPS\EPO.BIN on your Garmin Outdoor device.
o Restart the GPSr and verify EPO status is 'Current'.
Tip: Copy Get EPO.exe to the [GPSr]\Garmin\GPS\ directory to load future updates while connected to a PC with an active internet connection
I used "Get EPO.exe" on the PC and then copied the EPO.bin file obtained in the GPSMAP 66s Garmin GPS. Restart and EPO=Current.
I see that with each unexplained «Satellite Loss of Receipt» the EPO status = expired without knowing which event of the two triggers the other.

The GPSMAP 66s is connected to the Internet in Wifi and also in Bluetooth to the Smartphone on which are installed Garmin connect, Garmin Explore & Connect IQ. The GPS is recorded in Garmin connect and synchronizes normally.
After some tests I also placed «Get EPO.exe» in the GPS directory of the GPSMAP 66s.
I live in the north-east of France, department of the Ardennes, border village with Belgium [31 U 629894 5553238] hence my interest in GPS + Galileo operation.
Spoiler
J’ai suivi les instructions de :
Manual EPO Download + Installation
• Should your Garmin GPSr exhibit trouble updating EPO data, follow these steps to manually obtain and install current EPO information:
o Download and unzip Get EPO.
o Run Get EPO.exe.
o A new EPO.BIN file will appear in the same directory (you may have to refresh the directory).
o Copy this file to [GPSr]\Garmin\GPS\EPO.BIN on your Garmin Outdoor device.
o Restart the GPSr and verify EPO status is 'Current'.
• Tip: Copy Get EPO.exe to the [GPSr]\Garmin\GPS\ directory to load future updates while connected to a PC with an active internet connection.

J’ai utilisé « Get EPO.exe » sur le PC puis recopié le fichier EPO.bin obtenu dans le GPSMAP 66s\Garmin\GPS. Redémarrage et EPO=Actuel.
Le GPSMAP 66s est connecté à internet en wifi et aussi en Bluetooth au Smartphone sur lequel sont installés Garmin connect, Garmin Explore & Connect IQ. Le GPS est enregistré dans Garmin connect et se synchronise normalement.
Après quelques essais j’ai placé aussi « Get EPO.exe » dans le répertoire GPS du GPSMAP 66s.
Je constate qu’à chaque « Perte réception satellites » inexpliquée le Statut EPO = expiré sans savoir quel événement des deux déclenche l’autre.
Je réside dans le NORD-EST de la France, département des Ardennes, village frontalier avec la Belgique [31 U 629894 5553238] d’où mon intérêt pour le fonctionnement GPS + Galileo.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for the additional information!

We have never seen the EPO file expire so quickly, it is usually good for many days or weeks.

Perhaps something external is corrupting it? Maybe disable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to be sure no external influences are present, refresh EPO again, and see if it still expires so quickly?
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

Contact made with GARMIN the GPS subject of these discussions was sent for maintenance and exchanged free of charge under warranty.

A member of the hiking group purchased a new GPSMAP66s. The user version is 10.30 instead of 10.20. Contacted to know the difference between the 2 versions, GARMIN does not respond.

Garmin Express also does not offer an upgrade to all GPSMAP66 V10.20 in the hiker group, i.e. 3 devices.

Spoiler
Contact pris avec GARMIN le GPS objet de ces discussions a été envoyé en maintenance et échangé gracieusement sous garantie.

Un membre du groupe de randonnée a acheté un GPSMAP66s neuf. La version utilisateur est 10.30 au lieu de 10.20. Contacté pour connaître la différence entre les 2 versions, GARMIN ne répond pas.

Garmin Express ne propose pas non plus de montée de version à tous les GPSMAP66 V10.20 du groupe de randonneurs, soit 3 appareils.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

1. Please post in english, using translator if necessary, and place original text with 'spoiler' tags

2. Please provide screen capture of Setup > About page from device with 10.30 firmware.

3. Open GPSMAP 66 Test Mode (see below) and share a photo of the display with Hardware ID etc. From Each Device.

Hardware/Software ID and Display Test:
  • Press and release the (Power) button.
  • Immediately Press and hold the (Enter) button.
  • The GPSMAP 66 will boot into a diagnostic menu.
  • Release the (Enter) button.
  • Select [Old Test Mode] (device may not respond immediately).
  • A diagnostic screen will appear displaying hardware and software information.
  • Press (Up)/(Down) to change backlight brightness.
  • Pressing the (Menu) button will cycle through a series of diagnostic screens.
  • Press the (Quit) button to return to the main test menu.
  • Press and hold the (Power) button to power down the device and reset diagnostic mode test results.
gbt0

Unread post by gbt0 »

Nouveau GPSMAP66s_1.jpg
Nouveau GPSMAP66s_2.jpg
Nouveau GPSMAP66s_3.jpg
Ancien GPSMAP66s_1.jpg
Ancien GPSMAP66s_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The device with v10.20 is PCB v8, while the device that came with v10.30 is PCB v9.

Firmware 10.30 is specific to support PCB v9, and that is why it can not be backdated to previous firmware versions.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”