CPE Actual and no satellites.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

Re: CPE Actual and no satellites.

Unread post by mimichris »

Garmin has always written that if you move more than 300Km without the GPS working, it takes some time when you turn on the GPS to acquire satellites at the new location. This is valid without a CPE file.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes, that was the case for all GPSr before the EPO.BIN and CPE.BIN files were introduced.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30 pm While I can not confirm it, I suspect the CPE.BIN file provides information for the entire constellation.
We now have confirmation from Garmin that the data in the EPO and CPE files is global, not regional.
mimichris

After updating the CPE on 10/23, the 66sr works normally, yesterday I go hiking, I turn on the 66sr, no satellite, as I had a second GPS, the Twonav Trail2, I used of the last. This problem has been happening several times, it is the latest version 5.50 of the firmware that has problems, with the previous version it does not seem to me to have had this problem.

I turned it back on this morning, everything works normally.......

What does Garmin do when it modifies its firmware, sometimes it works less well than before this modification.
0x01

Unread post by 0x01 »

mimichris wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:17 am What does Garmin do when it modifies its firmware, sometimes it works less well than before this modification.
Typical symptom when the cheap newbies from university in low cost locations develop the software and have no clue what they do.
GPSMAP 65s | eTrex Legend HCx
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I once had a keen interest in owning a GPSMAP 66sr. It bothers me as to why the Garmin Canada website has completely removed this model from it's list of handhelds. Yes, I know it can be purchased at many stores throughout Canada but not through their website. Why? Add to that it's various problems reported here with key issues still unresolved. Finally, the cost has not dropped one iota, not one cent different from all retailers here. Disappointed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Perhaps something better will soon meet your needs?
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I'm listening.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Keep your ears to the ground!
mimichris

luvvinbird wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:21 pm I once had a keen interest in owning a GPSMAP 66sr. It bothers me as to why the Garmin Canada website has completely removed this model from it's list of handhelds. Yes, I know it can be purchased at many stores throughout Canada but not through their website. Why? Add to that it's various problems reported here with key issues still unresolved. Finally, the cost has not dropped one iota, not one cent different from all retailers here. Disappointed.
Spoiler
The 66sr is well sold by Garmin Canada, you have to go to "Handhelds" then choose "Gpsmap 66 serie" then
"inReach® Technology' "NO"
then
"Multi-Band Technology" "YES".
It is sold at $499.99.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”