Logging caches offline (No WiFi)

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
bbesse

Logging caches offline (No WiFi)

Unread post by bbesse »

Hello all.
I use a Montana 700, Non "I" Version and a friend who is new to the hobby just bought a 700i.
I use GSAK for just about everything, loading caches, logging caches etc., and my friend is not using GSAK.
Being up front, he does not have a Data plan on his phone so he can't use WiFi hotspot on his phone. Data isn't cheap here in Canada.
So I started experimenting. Here is what I found
I turned OFF WiFi, found a cache, then turned on WiFi. The Find was NOT uploaded to GC.com.

Next, I turned on WiFi, and walked away from home until I dropped WiFi. I "Found" a cache and then walked home. When I got close and the 700 found WiFi, the cache was logged.

So am I missing something? Is there a different way to log caches WITHOUT GSAK? I am going to introduce him to GSAK.

One other question, is there a way of easily deleting the txt file containing the found caches without a computer?
Thanks for you time everyone!
...Branky...
Montana 700, Montana 680, Oregon 700
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Logging caches offline (No WiFi)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It would appear that, with GCLive logging enabled, the Montana will flag a 'geocache found' log for upload if a Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection is enabled when the geocache is logged. If Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled, no upload flag is set.

I also use GSAK for 99% of my geocaching logging activity.

The Montana 7x0 can also be used to log finds manually while it is connected to your computer. Please see GPSrChive > How To... > Geocache > Uploading Geocache Logs for additional details.

Why do you want to delete the geocache log file on the Montana 7x0?
bbesse

Unread post by bbesse »

I clean out the log after each days run so I can easily see and count the number of caches I found that run. The same reason I really miss seeing the found caches counter on the screen.
And the less stuff stored in the Montana main memory the better, I have found. I am surprised at how fast the main memory gets used.
I am going to try moving all the map data to the SD card and see what happens. Just to free up memory.
Am I doing things wrong of just "different"? My work flow works for me.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

bbesse wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:27 am I clean out the log after each days run so I can easily see and count the number of caches I found that run. The same reason I really miss seeing the found caches counter on the screen.
Are you aware you can see all activity in detail for any given day in the Calendar Page on any modern Garmin GPSr?

bbesse wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:27 am And the less stuff stored in the Montana main memory the better, I have found. I am surprised at how fast the main memory gets used.
I am going to try moving all the map data to the SD card and see what happens. Just to free up memory.
The preloaded maps are what use up the memory so quickly. The Geocache log text files could go on forever and not take up any measurable space. I have nearly a dozen geocache visit text files on one GPsr that include many hundreds of logs, and most are still only 1 KB in size. (I have multiple because I rename the active file at the end of each year by appending the 4 digit year to the end of the filename)

bbesse wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:27 am Am I doing things wrong of just "different"? My work flow works for me.
Wrong? No.

Different? Who cares!

If it works for you, that's all that matters!
bbesse

Unread post by bbesse »

I didn't know about the calendar and how it works.
Time to dig into that.
Thanks for all the help. This is a great site!

Return to “Montana 7x0”