CPE.bin

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

CPE.bin

Unread post by mimichris »

Hello,
Did you have good holidays ?

It's been several times that I managed to update the CPE with Garmin Explore, have they modified their system so that it works well?

I wonder, on a GNSS system the circuit is always equipped with a battery (on my old eMap there is this battery) in order to record the almanacs of the satellites, so that when the GPS is switched on doesn't search for hours to acquire satellites, as the 66s doesn't need CPE just like other older Garmins, why Garmin doesn't use the almanac backup on the 66sr remains a mystery to me. In fact, when the CPE file is not up to date, the 66sr takes a very long time to acquire the satellites, as if there were no backup, weird!
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ewald.gruen

Re: CPE.bin

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

It never takes more than 2 minutes to get a near perfect fix on my 66sr (indoors without CPE.bin), even if the GPS almanac is outdated and the 66sr definitely does not lose the GPS almanac on reboot. However, the story is different for Galileo and GLONASS, which is sad indeed.
mimichris

This morning I update the CPE with Garmin Explorer, I look at the satellites everything is OK, I turn off the 66sr then turn it back on, no more satellites, the CPE is present, I delete it, restart the 66sr and the satellites reappear.
I turn off the 66sr, turn it back on and no more satellites. However, the CPE file of 09/02/2022 is present.
What's going on ?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Only Garmin software engineers know what is happening, we hope!
mimichris

Last news, in fact I let the 66sr search for satellites for a good hour and then I turned it off, after several hours of rest, I turned it back on and I got all the satellites very quickly as usual. habit.

I ask the question, are there not problems with the transmissions of GNSS satellites being interrupted, Last Monday I had a stoppage for an hour, impossible to have the GPS on my smartphone, after it came back normally, is it my smartphone or the satellites?

Because of the war ? It looks like the Russians can jam the GPS, accurate or not.
ewald.gruen

I've mainly been using the 65s (without a CPE.bin) during the last couple of weeks and it performed outstanding when racing through the forest at 30 km/h. The trace is almost always closer than 1.8 m to the center of the road and usually less than 1 m from it.

65s (deep in the forest):
  • 65s_forest_trace.png
66sr (challenging valley):
  • 66sr_valley_trace.png
I turn on the devices about 15 minutes before the start of the recording and I never connect them to the internet (so no CPE.bin on either device).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

This same morning topo, no satellite, I synchronized with Explore, I turned it off then restarted, it found the satellites. And this problem since I made the 5.50 update. If it continues, I go back to 5.20.
mimichris

ewald.gruen wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:13 pm I've mainly been using the 65s (without a CPE.bin) during the last couple of weeks and it performed outstanding when racing through the forest at 30 km/h. The trace is almost always closer than 1.8 m to the center of the road and usually less than 1 m from it.

65s (deep in the forest):
  • 65s_forest_trace.png
66sr (challenging valley):
  • 66sr_valley_trace.png
I turn on the devices about 15 minutes before the start of the recording and I never connect them to the internet (so no CPE.bin on either device).
If you don't have a CPE it takes a long time for the 66sr to acquire the satellites mine with a CPE not working so no satellites visible, takes at least 20-30 minutes to acquire all the satellites, the longest being Galileo which comes well after Glonass and GPS.
ewald.gruen

I fully agree that some of the 66sr's firmware bugs are are major pain in the ass and that Garmin is either lazy or simply unable to fix these issues themselves, but still, I can't complain about the accuracy of the device - even though I'm pretty sure by now that the 65s is superior in terms of accuracy - but I can't tell if this is due to differences in hardware or software or both.
mimichris wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:59 am... the longest being Galileo which comes well after Glonass and GPS.
Which is indeed a shame.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

How is the 65s more accurate than the 66sr?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”