Geocaching with Photos

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
bbesse

Re: Geocaching with Photos

Unread post by bbesse »

Hello Gents, especially ArnieBarney.
I discovered this post and decided to try and help by trying to do this. I didn't know I could do this!
I have a new Montana 700 with the latest FW and SW and very little configuration changes. I am using the Geocaching profile.
After reading the instructions, fat fingering the folder naming I was able to make it work. I even discovered the image does not need to have the same name.
I have attached a shot of my folder tree.
Let me know what else I can do.

Montana_Tree.jpg

...Branky...
Garmin Montana 700, Montana 680, Garming Oregon 700
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Montana 700, Montana 680, Oregon 700
arniebarney

Unread post by arniebarney »

Hi Branky,
can you upload a screen capture of the thumb screen so I can see what it should look like?
Montana 700, Monterra, Oregon 450
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Examples are available at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Main Menu > Geocaching > Active Geocache > Photos.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

arniebarney wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:20 am I changed the profile to an unused profle e.g. recreational and the problem persists. I have also tried with other caches. Also, I recreated these steps on my Monterra gpsr and the index screen does show the thumbs.
Please Zip your entire 'GeocachePhotos' directory as is and email to webmaster at GPSrChive dot com!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good news, arniebarney!

I tested with the images you supplied and experienced the same issue, while none of the spoiler images I had loaded exhibited this behavior.

I took a closer look at your JPG photos, and other than the higher PPI value, nothing appeared out of order.

So, I saved each photo as a PNG, then resaved as JPG (using paint.net) again and retested, and here are the results!

Test Result.png

It appears there may be unspecified limits to the JPEG images loaded for this purpose.

We have requested additional clarification from the Garmin software engineers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arniebarney

I've tried modifying the photos in the manner you specified but I have no success. Can you email back to me your directory tree with photos you modified so I can copy paste to my unit?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

arniebarney wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:53 am I've tried modifying the photos in the manner you specified but I have no success. Can you email back to me your directory tree with photos you modified so I can copy paste to my unit?
Done!

You may need to remove the originals, reboot, then add the new photos to clear the internal device database completely.
arniebarney

Even with the modified photos and recreating the folder structure I still end up with a blank thumb screen.
I have tried creating folders for other geocaches and used nondescript random jpg files from my photos and still do not see the thumbs. The hotspots are active and funstion as per my earlier video.
Time for a factory reset?
arniebarney

A master reset was done per the troubleshooting instructions. The GeocachePhotos folder was deleted. Geocache pocket query loaded. Created new directory structure for a random cache and loaded a known good jpeg. Result is still no rendering of the thumbs screen when attempting to view the photo.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

How are you loading the PQ?

Perhaps try removing that, reboot, then load the individual geocache as a stand alone GPX file. This shouldn't have any affect, but I want to rule it out, since this is how I tested your geocache.

Also, try these two images as alternates, just for testing.

MGM.jpg
Gr Logo v7.jpg

Return to “Montana 7x0”