Download Geocaching Pocket Queries

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
bonstetten

Download Geocaching Pocket Queries

Unread post by bonstetten »

Can anybody confirm, that it is possible to download Geocaching Pocket Queries with firmware version v13.20? (Montana 700)

Here I've a device that still has the problem even after multiple hard/factory resets, etc.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Download Geocaching Pocket Queries

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Assuming you are using Wi-Fi, how was the Wi-Fi configured on your Montana 7x0?

BTW, GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 97 indicates this has been an issue since firmware version 10.80.
bon

Unread post by bon »

Hopefully this is helpful but I don't use PQs much at all and I don't use the wi-fi feature either so there could be a glitch with step 2 but these steps worked for me:

1. On your computer, go to the Pocket Query list.
2. Check one of the 7 boxes that is today's day of the week. It should start the process of emailing you a zip file without clicking anything else.
3. Open the email and download the file to your pc desktop. Then unzip the file.
4. Connect your Garmin to your pc with a cable.
5. Copy the unzipped gpx file from your pc desktop to the Garmin/GPX folder on your Garmin.
6. All the PQ caches should now be in your Garmin and ready to view.
arniebarney

Unread post by arniebarney »

I have been successfully loading pocket queries by the manual steps mentioned by bon. Also I have loaded gpx's created from lists and gsak exports to gpx format.
It may be possible that a corrupt gpx file can give you problems, so I would delete it and run the pocket query all over again.
Montana 700, Monterra, Oregon 450
bonstetten

Unread post by bonstetten »

Thanks arniebarney and bon for you feedback: I normally use exactly this way to load PQ you describe (but I use "iCaching" for Mac that does this job in a much more comfortable way).

But I was interesting to get feedback for the other way, thanks to GPSrChive pointing to the issue which may be the reason.

Interesting:
- It works (loading Geocache-Listen) if you only have a handfull geocaches in the list (2..20).
- Issue also exist on other Garmin-Devices (ex. GPSMAP 66st)
- I received the response from Garmin-Support which says "it works on their device...." :cry:
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Is this a still a problem? At least for me, I didn't had any issues downloading pocket queries on my device.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

No issues for me either, downloading lists directly on the unit via it's geocaching integration, including lists with 1000 caches. I haven't tested on the last couple of firmware versions though.

Return to “Montana 7x0”