BirdsEye Direct Image Quality

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

BirdsEye Direct Image Quality

Unread post by mimichris »

the BirdsEye images downloaded with WiFi on the 66sr are not sharp and of poor quality, certainly degraded on purpose so as not to have too large a file, I cannot use them. It's been like that for a long time, when I had the 66s it was the same.

Do you have an idea on how to save the WiFi number to connect, because it is painful, each time to put the capital letter, the numbers, not easy at Garmin? thanks in advance.

1131.bmp
1144.bmp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ewald.gruen

Re: BirdsEye Direct Image Quality

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 amthe BirdsEye images downloaded with WiFi on the 66sr are not sharp and of poor quality
Yes, in direct comparison with aerial photos taken by low-flying aircraft.
mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 amcertainly degraded on purpose so as not to have too large a file
No, they are identical to Maxar's raw footage down to the pixel level. Here is the same area directly from the DigitalGlobe tile servers:
maxar.png
mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 amDo you have an idea on how to save the WiFi number to connect
What do you mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin actually announced in March of 2020 that they had improved BirdsEye Imagery (press release here), but when we compared some of the new imagery with our much older imagery data (see BirdsEye Imagery Comparison), we found the exact opposite to be true.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 am the BirdsEye images downloaded with WiFi on the 66sr are not sharp and of poor quality, certainly degraded on purpose so as not to have too large a file, I cannot use them. It's been like that for a long time, when I had the 66s it was the same.
Which detail level was selected before downloading the imagery, Standard, High, or Highest?

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Pages > BirdsEye Direct for additional details.
ewald.gruen

How big the difference ends up being obviously also depends on the region under consideration:
  • Bing:
    bing-1.jpg
    Maxar:
    maxar-1.jpg
  • Bing:
    bing-2.jpg
    Maxar:
    maxar-2.jpg
  • Bing:
    bing-3.jpg
    Maxar:
    maxar-3.jpg
As a side note in case you are wondering why the download is so slow. The download speed seems to be limited to around 2 Mbps.
mimichris

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:14 pm
mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 am the BirdsEye images downloaded with WiFi on the 66sr are not sharp and of poor quality, certainly degraded on purpose so as not to have too large a file, I cannot use them. It's been like that for a long time, when I had the 66s it was the same.
Which detail level was selected before downloading the imagery, Standard, High, or Highest?

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Pages > BirdsEye Direct for additional details.
Highest.
mimichris

ewald.gruen wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:39 pm
mimichris wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:35 amDo you have an idea on how to save the WiFi number to connect
What do you mean?
I misspoke, it's the WiFi connection number with letters and numbers, the Garmin keyboard is very difficult to use.
mimichris

here is the birdsEye image seen at scale 1 but unusable on the 66sr given its low zoom.

birdseye jnxer.jpg
mimichris

here's the slightly sharper low-scale image on the 66sr, unreadable to track.

121.bmp
ewald.gruen

I picked a random French village and created a GIF animation comparing BirdsEye to Maxar, Bing, BD Ortho and Enedis:

france.gif

The 66sr does change the aspect ratio of the images it downloads from services.digitalglobe.com, but not the resolution.
mimichris wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:50 amthe WiFi connection number with letters and numbers
If you mean the SSID and password, yes, but you only have to enter them once?

PS: I don't know how to add inline attachments the way @mimichris does it.

birdseye.jpg
maxar.jpg
bing.jpg
bd_ortho.jpg
enedis.jpg

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”