GPSMAP 65s - In-depth analysis of power consumption

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
inu

Re: GPSMAP 65s - In-depth analysis of power consumption

Unread post by inu »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:23 pm The GPSrChive > Oregon 6x0/7x0 > Operation > Power Sources pages have something similar.
Yes, a sort of. It's interesting, the table does not show dramatic consumption increase for the Compass "application". The hardware in Oregon and GPSMAP is basically the same, so why the difference? Different design teams?
inu

Unread post by inu »

Domi93CH wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:18 am I tried this yesterday and found that the batteries last much longer. when I stay on the elevation profile page and the device goes into sleep mode.
With 62s, I did not visually notice much difference in current between map and elevation pages. As for longevity, it may be more tricky. The current consumption is not steady, it's by pulses (see the pictures above). Different pages, different patterns. So different crest factors, different duty cycles, etc. I presume that can cause to some difference in up time, especially with worn rechargeable batteries
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

inu wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:00 pmThe hardware in Oregon and GPSMAP is basically the same, so why the difference?
Could be a typo, because the Oregon 6x0's measurement results are basically in line with ours, or they actually fixed it in the Oregon 7x0's firmware.
inu wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:25 pmWith 62s, I did not visually notice much difference in current between map and elevation pages.
The 64s shows a similar increase in power consumption when the 'Elevation Plot' and not the 'Map' is running in the background with the screen off as my 65s.
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

What I highly doubt however are the +30 mA when ANT+ is enabled. The current consumption only increases that much during the search. Once a sensor is found, it drops well into the microamp range:
  • ANT on:
    65s_ant_on.png
  • ANT off:
    65s_ant_off.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”