"Calculating 0%" [Bug 122]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
CavReconSGT

Re: "Calculating 0%" [Bug 122]

Unread post by CavReconSGT »

I wrote this over on the Garmin forum. It is getting beyond frustrating.
I had to call Garmin again and they did eventually send me a new 750i. After using it the first time it did route. This is a stock unit with only the updates that they did through Garmin Express. I didn't ever add a SD card. After that 70% of the time it will sit at 0% and not route at all. This is not a hardware problem. I have had GPS units almost all Garmin since the first one a GPS 45XL which was in the 80's. I hear people bad mouth Garmin and I am usually not one of those people but this is seriously outrageous. Still haven't heard directly from Garmin about how they are going to fix this or even if they can, or even if they are working on it. HOW DO WE GET AN ANSWER? What is the status of this BUG? And to be clear, THIS IS A CRITICAL BUG. There could be no higher priority than fixing this. This is a $900 unit that can't do the most basic thing a GPS needs to be able to do. Does Garmin even pay attention to this forum? How does a company release such a piece of damaged firmware? It is worse than a car that doesn't drive as someone suggested. You wouldn't get into a car that didn't drive. This is like having a car that will not take you where you point it while driving.
berin

Unread post by berin »

My case has been open with Garmin since I came back in mid July. Here's the things I tried:

- update fw using GE. Both units were on FW 2.80. One unit said a FW update was available, the other didn't. After the update (including maps) both units were on FW 2.90. With this update, not all of the maps (CN and Topo Europe) won't fit in memory so I selected a smaller maps set. Both units are now on 2.90 and CN Europe 2023.1

- Immediately after the update routing did work, with CN and Topo, or with CN only selected. However the units started to crash more frequently. Then after entering a few test destinations the units returned to exhibiting the "calculating 0%" behaviour. Once this happens, pressing where to> any destination results in the "calculating 0%" message disappearing but the units stay in "ready to navigate" mode with no route calculated

- Sometimes, but not consistently, by changing route activity and/or changing to direct routing and back (drawing a straight line)it seemed to reset and a route calculate correctly, but this didn't last long. Also, whilst it did sometimes calculate a route, it was mostly a weird route - from my house in Oxfordshire to Salisbury in Hampshire, with avoid motorways on, it routed into London on the motorway, turning a 40 mile trip into a 90 mile trip. It would also sometimes calculate to 30%, or even 99%, and then hang.

- I removed entirely the Topo maps. No difference. I put Topo maps back on. No difference.

- I removed all the maps and put an SD card with GB topo Pro on. These are routable maps. No difference.

- At Garmin's behest, I reinstalled the Topo maps, enabled them, disabled CN, than tried to calculate a pedestrian route, since they though this might do another "reset". Nothing happened, no route, no nothing.

Like others, I've used these units for 18 months in the UK, with CN maps, topo maps and GB discoverer maps installed with no issues, so it's something they've done recently.

Garmin sent me the returns email today for 2 replacement units. Fingers crossed!

-
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Than you for the update!

Unfortunately, replacing the hardware is not going to resolve this issue.
CavReconSGT

berin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:31 pm My case has been open with Garmin since I came back in mid July. Here's the things I tried:

- update fw using GE. Both units were on FW 2.80. One unit said a FW update was available, the other didn't. After the update (including maps) both units were on FW 2.90. With this update, not all of the maps (CN and Topo Europe) won't fit in memory so I selected a smaller maps set. Both units are now on 2.90 and CN Europe 2023.1

- Immediately after the update routing did work, with CN and Topo, or with CN only selected. However the units started to crash more frequently. Then after entering a few test destinations the units returned to exhibiting the "calculating 0%" behaviour. Once this happens, pressing where to> any destination results in the "calculating 0%" message disappearing but the units stay in "ready to navigate" mode with no route calculated

- Sometimes, but not consistently, by changing route activity and/or changing to direct routing and back (drawing a straight line)it seemed to reset and a route calculate correctly, but this didn't last long. Also, whilst it did sometimes calculate a route, it was mostly a weird route - from my house in Oxfordshire to Salisbury in Hampshire, with avoid motorways on, it routed into London on the motorway, turning a 40 mile trip into a 90 mile trip. It would also sometimes calculate to 30%, or even 99%, and then hang.

- I removed entirely the Topo maps. No difference. I put Topo maps back on. No difference.

- I removed all the maps and put an SD card with GB topo Pro on. These are routable maps. No difference.

- At Garmin's behest, I reinstalled the Topo maps, enabled them, disabled CN, than tried to calculate a pedestrian route, since they though this might do another "reset". Nothing happened, no route, no nothing.

Like others, I've used these units for 18 months in the UK, with CN maps, topo maps and GB discoverer maps installed with no issues, so it's something they've done recently.

Garmin sent me the returns email today for 2 replacement units. Fingers crossed!

-
This is very much my experience. I did lots of the same things including numerous resets. Tried removing maps, reinstalling maps, etc. Working with Garmin they eventually said I needed to send the unit back and they would replace it. I didn't have high hopes that was the problem. They did send me a new one, it worked once, and then it has the same problem. This is not a hardware issue. I had OSM maps on my first one. I have done absolutely nothing to this one. Haven't added GPX data or OSM maps or really anything. I haven't even put in a SD card. It is stock. Nothing I have done has consistently been able to make it work. Prior to the 13.10 update, this unit worked. I took it from CT to FL and back. It had some quirks, but for the most part it appeared to work with routing. I am going to try to reopen the ticket I had and see if they can do something.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Does loading a firmware older than 13.10 resolve the issue?
CavReconSGT

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:19 pm Does loading a firmware older than 13.10 resolve the issue?

I haven't yet. I have been thinking about it. Maybe tomorrow. I don't remember this happening with 12.10 so that is what I should try.
CavReconSGT

I could not revert to 12.10 because I couldn't find it. I was able to revert to 10.90. I can't prove that it will never work again, (can't prove something isn't going to happen) but, I have tried numerous routings and all, every one succeeded. This was similar to my experience before updating to 13.10. I will try to find 12.10 and upgrade to that version but until they figure out what is going on, I an not updating to anything past that firmware version. They have corresponded with me and I will be sending them a response indicating what I have found.
CavReconSGT

So after a day using 10.90 firmware. The unit is still working as expected. I have been informed that 12.10 is probably not released and that appears to be true. As far as I am concerned I feel as though I have corrected the issue for me. I will not upgrade the firmware until Garmin expressly states this is fixed in whatever firmware revision they say. Until them, I am sticking with 10.90. I told Garmin about what I did to fix this and their response was "Thank you for the update".
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Hoping this is resolved in this month's update!
CavReconSGT

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:48 pm Hoping this is resolved in this month's update!
I would like that also. Do you have knowledge of an upcoming firmware update? What gives you hope? Personally, I'm swinging blind. They have given me no hope that they (engineering) are even looking at this issue. Nor that they know what the workaround is, which I have told them how it now works for me. I should have heeded my instincts and never updated the firmware the night before I left on my trip to Alaska. I know better but stupidly didn't follow the advice I would and have given others after testing the device for over a year.

Return to “Montana 7x0”