"Calculating 0%" [Bug 122]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
berin

"Calculating 0%" [Bug 122]

Unread post by berin »

We are on a trip with 2 x 700i’s. These were both tested on a long trip a week before leaving. Mostly new follow tracks so no navigation but when I tried to navigate on road to a poi the following happened:
1) calculating 0% and sticks. Pressing the calculating 0% generates a “no route” message. >where to>any waypoint and the screen just returns to map page but no route is calculated.

Both devices have latest city navigator and Topo pro maps. Both exhibit the same behaviour. Both have a few (long) tracks and 100 or so waypoints in memory and both have 2-3gb memory spare.

One had 3rd party routable maps (Talky Toaster France) on an sd card, one had Garmin Topo Pro 6 France, also on an sd card, but removing these makes no difference.
I’ve tried switching off all the maps in map manager and then switching on just CityNav, and did a full reset on one.

We don’t have a computer with us, any ideas to fix it?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: "Calculating 0%" [Bug 122]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What are the exact route calculation options used when it fails, and which maps are enabled in Setup > Map > Map Manager (not the Map Layer Menu)?

Which firmware version installed (Setup > About)?
berin

Unread post by berin »

Firmware 13.2

The maps installed are:
City Navigator
Garmin Topo Pro
Talky Toaster France Topo
Basemap

On a card is Garmin France Topo pro 6

I have tried:
Removing the card
Disabling all the maps then enabling just City Nav.

Same result
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Almost always when the 'Unable to Calculate Route' message is displayed, it is due to errors and/or conflicts in the routing data that is part of the installed maps. Typically, the device will only use routing data from 'enabled maps', so if you are absolutely 100% certain that only a single map was enabled (CItyNav in this case) and you still have this issue, the next step would be to try again with only TopoActive enabled, then try different routing methods and options, then try a different profile, preferably a profile that has not been 'edited'.

The device may need to be hard reset and returned to factory configuration, including only having factory maps installed, then retested. Then add one map at a time and retest until you find the offending map. My guess is one or both of the other France Topo maps is not playing nice. This is not something to do while out in the field.
berin

Unread post by berin »

The error isn’t “unable to calculate route”, it starts to calculate and hangs at “calculating 0%”. If the unit is switched off, and even if the battery is removed, on start up it’s still at calculating 0%.

Tapping the graphic for calculating 0% which would normally show the list of directions just gives a message “no route is active”.

Whilst in this mode, search>anything clears the calculating 0% but no route is shown.

Definitely all the other maps are disabled in map manager.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Perhaps you can make a video, upload to YouTube and share link here?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

After some testing today we eventually duplicated your experience!

When the 'Calculating 0%' was displayed, we didn't touch the device for over 15 minutes with no change in behavior.

After checking enabled maps, we found the City Navigator map was enabled and TopoActive map disabled, exactly as indicated by the Map Page Layer Menu.

While the Map Page Layer Menu was displayed, we enabled TopoActive and disabled City Navigator, and almost instantly a route was calculated!

We have duplicated this exact scenario multiple times using our 750i v13.20.

Can anyone duplicate our experience?
berin

Unread post by berin »

If I select CityNav in map manager, Topo maps off, in map layers no maps are shown enabled. Enabling either/or Topo and city nav makes no difference.
There’s another change now which is that “calculating 0%” no longer appears but no calculation is done.

I can’t do a video as I’m out on a trip riding trails a phone to navigate.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We do not need the video, we were able to reproduce.

Please clarify: If CityNav is enabled in Map Manager, the Map Page Layer Menu does not show it as enabled?
CavReconSGT

Unread post by CavReconSGT »

This is EXACTLY the same behavior that I started experiencing. I did contact Garmin support and after working with them over a couple of days they decided to send me a new unit. I am waiting for the unit as they have none in stock currently. I worked as a software developer for over 40 years. It was clear they had no idea what was causing this. I never saw this behavior prior to updating to 13.10 and this behavior continued with 13.20. Not saying it didn't exist before 13.10 but I used the device repeatedly prior to 13.10 and never noticed the behavior. I don't know if a new unit will "fix" this but I absolutely ran out of things to try. I hope they get to the bottom of this and am especially glad to know I am not the only one to experience this. This problem absolutely ruined my trip to Alaska (along with other minor issues) but this was a prime contributor to a lot of the stress and wasted time trying to figure out what was going on without adequate resources to try to support this device. I really hope they figure out this problem.

Return to “Montana 7x0”