How to get virtual com port on Windows 11?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
Zoot

How to get virtual com port on Windows 11?

Unread post by Zoot »

I'd like to use my GPSMAP 65 with VisualGPS etc. on Windows, but I am unable to find any combination of settings that will produce a virtual COM port on Windows. I have tried most or all the Interface settings, but I either get nothing or in Garmin Spanner mode I get a "Garmin Devices" -> Garmin USB GPS" in Device Manager, but there still seem to be no COM ports on the system, so I'm not sure how I would connect a mapping app etc. to use it with NMEA sentences from the GPSMAP.

I would have thought this would "just work" but so far no joy.
Zoot

Re: How to get virtual com port on Windows 11?

Unread post by Zoot »

Well, I've been going back and forth with Garmin support for weeks on this and I sTILL can't get a straight answer as to whether it's actually supposed to work or not. They suggested testing with Google Earth Pro, which can do live tracking because it knows how to talk to a Garmin USB device natively.

then they suggested I try PUTTY to see if I cna receive NMEA sentences that way. Great! The only way that COULD work is if the GPSMAP 65 is enumerating as a serial port on the USB interface which is what I want so I can use it with old software that only talks to COM ports (virtual or otherwise) just like my various GPS boards that do this just fine over USB.

But no luck getting that to work. I took the whole setup to another Windows 10 PC that has never had a Gamin plugged into it, and tried it there, without any drivers (nothing) then after installing Garmin Express (after which it shows up as a Gamin USB GPS in Device Manager just like on the other PC but still does not create a virtual COM port.

And now shortly after doing that, the GPSMAP 65 has stopped persisting almanac/nav data and can no longer perform a warm start. UGH!
WhereAmI

Re: How to get virtual com port on Windows 11?

Unread post by WhereAmI »

Did you ever find an answer from Garmin or anyone else?

I think it's all in the cable. I tried using the included mini USB to USB cable, but couldn't make a PC or LInux box recognize it as a Serial connection. Then I saw this page.

*** please review forum posting guidelines ***

*** formatting updated to comply with forum posting guidelines ***
links

Return to “GPSMAP 65”