GPSMAP 64sx & EPO.BIN File?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
luvvinbird

GPSMAP 64sx & EPO.BIN File?

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I have a GPSMAP 64sx that often takes several minutes to lock onto satellites. It's fully updated and I connect with Garmin Express at least once a week. Does it have an EPO.BIN file? In the GPS folder I see ARC.BIN and BEE.BIN (both of which show "current") and a third file, MT.NVM. I see several other .BIN files in another folder but not the EPO.BIN file. Nothing shows in "About" to indicate the status, either (but neither does my 65s which shows a CPE.BIN file in the GPS folder). Just wondering.
ljnjtrails

Re: GPSMAP 64sx & EPO.BIN File?

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

I don't think the GPSMAP 64sx uses CPE or EPO. Meaning, it does not support the feature that uses one of these files to predict satellite locations. So you would not find either of these files on your unit. I could be wrong, as I'm guessing based on a quick look at specs and documentation, compared to the GPSMAP 66 series.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 64sx & EPO.BIN File?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are still looking into this, but I suspect the correct answer is that the GPSMAP 64 series do not use the EPO.BIN or CPE.BIN files, even though we found an EPO.BIN file on one of our GPSMAP 64 devices, which was most likely placed there in error by Garmin Express, Garmin Connect, or Garmin Explore.

We do find reference to ARC.BIN and BEE.BIN files storing 'HotFix' data for Garmin devices using MTK GPS Chipsets.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”