Disabling compass causes 'Track Up' not working in Satellite App

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Disabling compass causes 'Track Up' not working in Satellite App

Unread post by ConiKost »

If Setup -> Heading -> Compass is set to Off, the setting 'Track Up' will not work in the Satellite App, causing not to move the satellite constellation. I would expect, that this still works. Firmware 10.90.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Disabling compass causes 'Track Up' not working in Satellite App

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It seems logical that if the compass is disabled, the device will not know which way it is facing while not moving, and this is exactly how multiple Garmin GPSr I tested today all behaved, including an Oregon 7x0, a GPSMAP 66, and an eTrex x2x. I have concluded that this is operation as intended.
ConiKost

Well, even if it's intended, I would expect some sort of better UX here, since basically this option is a no-op in this state. But this is very low priority, since there are other bugs, which are much more important to fix.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Better UI how?

Perhaps a user orders the Track Up setting on the Satellite page, but turns the compass off to save power when not looking at the screen for long periods of activity. If they again look at the Satellite screen and realize the compass is not responding, they can choose to re-enable it or not.

Wouldn't want the 3D compass to automatically start up without user request. If it did, how long should it wait before it switches back? Or should it just stay on indefinitely?
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:03 pm Better UI how?
For example print a small message, that Compass is disabled and North Up got as fallback automatically enabled. Currently, it's just stuck and not alligned to north automatically.
gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:03 pm Wouldn't want the 3D compass to automatically start up without user request. If it did, how long should it wait before it switches back? Or should it just stay on indefinitely?
I don't see the problem here. IMHO, it would be consistent, Compass is automatically enabled, when Satellite App is opened as 'Track Up' is configured and being disabled, when Satellite App is closed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

BTW, Track Up does work when the compass is disabled, so long as you are moving.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:44 pm BTW, Track Up does work when the compass is disabled, so long as you are moving.
I just tried outdoor. Somehow it works, but it's very slow. Takes many seconds until something happens.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Like all Garmin GPSr without an electronic compass, the device compares the current position with the last known position to calculate a direction of travel. This is also true for the 'Compass Page', 'Map Page', and 'Trip Computer Page' or any other page displaying data related to heading.

In fact, the Montana 7x0 only has two settings for the electronic compass:
  • Auto (switches from electronic compass to GPS compass when traveling at higher rates of speed)
  • Off (disables 3-axis compass)

Return to “Montana 7x0”