GPSMAP 66sr Routing Issues

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
Nail

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Routing Issues

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 am Why not follow a trail, which I do and avoid all those waypoints. For me, it's the simplest and most effective.
610 / 5 000
Wyniki tłumaczenia
Are you talking about following a track? I also think it is good and the safest. The track is not affected by the map and the device, at least I think so. However, since I have a device that gives other possibilities, I must acquire the skills to use them. Today I have time to learn, but when I need a device, it cannot get me into the lake.

I made a track like this around the streets around the house and converted it in 66sr to course. I chose this course and gave GO, and 66sr made a route between the end and the start, which were next to each other. He forgot about the rest of the tour.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I wrote earlier that I also understood about the impact of maps on routing. I think that the map of PL Topo is defective, I bought it together with 66sr paying extra. Free OSMap is much better. PL Topo I have to file a complaint with the seller.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Nail wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:04 pm I made a track like this around the streets around the house and converted it in 66sr to course. I chose this course and gave GO, and 66sr made a route between the end and the start, which were next to each other. He forgot about the rest of the tour.
Sounds like you selected 'Direct Routing' somewhere.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm Sounds like you selected 'Direct Routing' somewhere.
Direct routing in the NO position.
Activity "Hiking"
I realized that when changing maps for tests, I also left the PL Topo turned on. This map breaks everything. When this map is turned off, the course is calculated correctly.
Summary
The initial problem was with creating a route in BaseCamp with the "Hiking" profile. After updating the maps to the same version in 66sr and BaseCamp also the transfer of the route with activities from BaseCamp works fine. Following your suggestion, I will no longer create routes in BaseCamp with activities.
Another revealed problem is the map of PL Topo, it's good that I have other maps. I suspect that if I had only this 66sr map it would go to service. Perhaps the creator has to fix it or someone will hurt himself.

At this point, I consider my initial problem solved thanks to you.
I will also ask if, when navigating with the selected "course", after leaving the selected line, I will receive an "off Course" alarm? I have the alarm option turned on in "Marine Alarm setup"
I tested this option by navigating on the track, the alarm goes off after walking away from the line after about 0.04 km despite the 0.01 km set.
Nail

Re: GPSMAP 66sr Routing Issues [Bug 61]

Unread post by Nail »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm Sounds like you selected 'Direct Routing' somewhere.
Another surprise.
The course selected to be navigated with the "Course planer" regardless of the selected map, links Start and End along the shortest path.
The course selected with Find >> Course works correctly.
I do not understand anything.
The routing settings are still the same.
I did a hard reset and it didn't help.
I also noticed that the chosen course stays in memory and trying to choose another course from the list doesn't change anything. The previous one is still remembered. You have to exit the course planer and come back again to see a different course and so on.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Update for the previous post.
The route or course remains in the device memory when you QUIT from the map view.
Go to the "off route info" window, then QUIT clears the 66sr memory and you can choose a different route or course.
Please do an experiment of your courses according to the pattern below.

create course.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:51 am
Direct routing in the NO position.
Activity "Hiking"
I realized that when changing maps for tests, I also left the PL Topo turned on. This map breaks everything. When this map is turned off, the course is calculated correctly.
Nail wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:39 pm Update for the previous post.
The route or course remains in the device memory when you QUIT from the map view.
Go to the "off route info" window, then QUIT clears the 66sr memory and you can choose a different route or course.
Please do an experiment of your courses according to the pattern below.
Thank you for catching this! Posted to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66sr > Common Issues > Bug 61.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail,

What do you have configured in Setup > Routing > Course Navigation?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:51 am I will also ask if, when navigating with the selected "course", after leaving the selected line, I will receive an "off Course" alarm? I have the alarm option turned on in "Marine Alarm setup"
I tested this option by navigating on the track, the alarm goes off after walking away from the line after about 0.04 km despite the 0.01 km set.
Garmin introduced new Off Course Alarms when support for courses was added, and, quite unfortunately, they have not yet provided any documentation about their functionality nor have they included any user configurable settings to control their operation on the device.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:26 pm Nail,

What do you have configured in Setup > Routing > Course Navigation?
Your question is the answer. I had "roads & trails" set, changed it to "direct path" and the problem was fixed. Now I have a "prompt".

Today I walked a route where routing was a problem. I navigated the route as "course". I like this way and will use it in the field. In the city or on the road, for vehicles, in my opinion, the route will be better.

In the forest when I had to navigate practically controlling the course, because the path was invisible, the arrow on the screen was quite nervous and spinning. I didn't check the visibility of the satellites, but there was probably a problem with the signal. I marked the place in an ellipse. I wished I had recorded the route on my smartphone to compare the quality of the devices. Nevertheless, I got to my destination and I am satisfied with the 66sr.

Wron.png
Wron1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”