Wi-Fi Sync and Geocache Explore Sync Problems

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Mongo

Wi-Fi Sync and Geocache Explore Sync Problems

Unread post by Mongo »

Hi,

On the GPSMAP66s I have never been able to sync via wifi. Always have had to use Bluetooth or usb cable with Garmin Express. Recently I tried the Garmin Express option and even that didn't work, so I am stuck with slow old wifi. Would like to know other people's experiences.

Another point - on the subject of Geocaching. When I create a pocket query, I transfer via USB cable to SD card on GPS unit. Then I can open up the gecache file from the Map screen by selecting "Geocache filter" function. I will deselect the geocache file once finished caching, because it can sometimes be 500 geocaches and creates too much clutter when zoomed out.
The problem I have is when I need to sync with explore. The GPS unit has automatically created waypoints out of all of those geocaches and assigns them to the primary collection. Then when you want to sync the software will automatically choose the primary collection for syncing, and you can't stop this. The syncing does not then work, since there is too much data to swap. Bluetooth grinds to a halt. I wonder what other people experience, and any workarounds. If the answer is download less geocaches then I'm not interested - memory card is big enough to hold big data, I like the option of not having to download a small amount of caches often, and if I go away to an area and do not take laptop then enables me to travel around a larger area and have caches for that.

I want to like this unit but our relationship has been hit and miss.

Thanks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Wi-Fi Sync and Geocache Explore Sync Problems

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Mongo wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:24 am On the GPSMAP66s I have never been able to sync via wifi. Always have had to use Bluetooth or usb cable with Garmin Express. Recently I tried the Garmin Express option and even that didn't work, so I am stuck with slow old wifi. Would like to know other people's experiences.
When you say "you have never been able to sync via wi-fi", what are you wanting to 'sync'? With what? What steps are you taking? What do you see on the GPSr?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Mongo wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:24 am The problem I have is when I need to sync with explore. The GPS unit has automatically created waypoints out of all of those geocaches and assigns them to the primary collection. Then when you want to sync the software will automatically choose the primary collection for syncing, and you can't stop this. The syncing does not then work, since there is too much data to swap. Bluetooth grinds to a halt. I wonder what other people experience, and any workarounds.
Any time you have an issue and Explore is part of the equation, Explore IS THE PROBLEM.

Garmin Explore is a monumental disaster of biblical proportions. I can not overstate this. Garmin Explore doesn't know what a geocache is, so it treats them all as singular waypoints. DISASTER. And you are only just scraping the surface of all of the issues related to Explore.

Our recommendation is DO NOT USE EXPLORE. Avoid it at all costs.

If you must use Explore, Still, Don't.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

Those who still insist on using Garmin Explore will be referred to their local mental institution for a psych evaluation and will be monitored for future potential self-harming behaviors.

There are countless reasons we refer to Garmin Explore as Perses.

Please visit GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Collections Manager for additional details.
Mongo

Unread post by Mongo »

Thanks for replying.

Sync / Wifi
The issue is possibly related to Garmin Explore being rubbish. I generally find it easier to draw routes on a PC or on my phone, so have been using Explore to do this. I (naively) thought that my GPSr once connected to wifi would compare information with Explore and update accordingly. This proved to be wrong. So the only way I can then get the routes across from explore is to open Explore on my android mobile and sync via bluetooth. I always use "Sync Selection" in Explore and just pick the collection I want to sync, but "primary collection" is done as a default.
I've come to the conclusion that the wifi option on the GPSr is only used for sharing data between units. And maybe for loading apps onto the unit, which I've avoided because that just suggests a whole other world of unwanted problems.

Route Planning
So given that Explore is terrible, what do other people use to plot routes? and how do they sync? I hear talk of Basecamp but I cannot install on my laptop since it is a work one and locked down. So at the mo my only method is Explore, or I've played with Locus which has yielded some results, by creating route on mobile, exporting as gpx onto laptop, then copying from laptop to GPSr. Though need to be careful with Locus export settings so as not to create too many waypoints. Locus can plot the route accurately but you don't really want it to, let the GPSr do that.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Mongo wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:43 pm I've come to the conclusion that the wifi option on the GPSr is only used for sharing data between units.
No data is shared between units via Wi-Fi.

You can see exactly what Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are used for at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Connected Features.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Mongo wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:43 pm So given that Explore is terrible, what do other people use to plot routes? and how do they sync? I hear talk of Basecamp but I cannot install on my laptop since it is a work one and locked down. So at the mo my only method is Explore, or I've played with Locus which has yielded some results, by creating route on mobile, exporting as gpx onto laptop, then copying from laptop to GPSr. Though need to be careful with Locus export settings so as not to create too many waypoints. Locus can plot the route accurately but you don't really want it to, let the GPSr do that.
Please see GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Uber User > Portable Applications.

You can run BaseCamp directly from your GPSMAP 66 while it is connected to most host PC's. This allows you to connect your GPSr and have full access to all the maps and other data loaded while creating routes etc and saving them using BaseCamp, all directly from the device.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”