Trace 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Trace 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:09 am It was 06/26 so it's not solar disturbances.
I do not know what 06/26 means.

The track you sent me was from 26MAR22, or 03/26/22.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Yesterday hike and after an hour, Galileo disappeared in multi-band mode, I put it back without the multi-band and Galileo came back, I put the multi-band back and Galileo disappears, I put it back without the multi-band and Galileo reappears , I leave my 66sr like that, then after half an hour, I put the multi-band back on and Galileo is present, does my 66sr have a problem? The hike was in forestless, treeless, absolutely clear terrain. I note that the multi-band does nothing more when you record a track, it is only accurate if you record a waypoint and taking the average.
I have often compared three GPS, the 66sr and the Cross and the Trail2 from Twonav (which also have GPS, Galileo and Glonass without multi-band) the three give the same precision on a track, no noticeable difference even in a village between the houses. And as people had told me, multi-band is above all a commercial affair, I have read inconclusive tests.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 am Yesterday hike and after an hour, Galileo disappeared in multi-band mode, I put it back without the multi-band and Galileo came back, I put the multi-band back and Galileo disappears, I put it back without the multi-band and Galileo reappears , I leave my 66sr like that, then after half an hour, I put the multi-band back on and Galileo is present, does my 66sr have a problem?
No, your 66sr does not have a problem.

I do not know for certain if all Galileo Satellite's are Multi-Band equipped, or if all Multi-Band capable Galileo satellite's are currently transmitting on all available bands.

Perhaps at the time you observed the behavior described, there were no Multi-Band Galileo satellite's available?

The available constellation is always changing, so this may be why only a half hour later you were seeing them listed in Multi-Band again.

Again, I do not know for certain this is what happened, but it would explain your observation.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 am I note that the multi-band does nothing more when you record a track, it is only accurate if you record a waypoint and taking the average.
This is not true.

mimichris wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 am I have often compared three GPS, the 66sr and the Cross and the Trail2 from Twonav (which also have GPS, Galileo and Glonass without multi-band) the three give the same precision on a track, no noticeable difference even in a village between the houses.
Next time compare these devices while navigating under heavy tree cover.

mimichris wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 am And as people had told me, multi-band is above all a commercial affair, I have read inconclusive tests.
I have seen many reports online demonstrating the superior capability of 'Multi-Band' devices when tested in adverse environments.
mimichris

In any case in the old villages between very tightly packed houses, the multi-band is not more effective than my Twonav, recorded at the same time with the two GPS. I don't have the opportunity to check in dense forests, at home they are few, or you have to go very far to find them...
mimichris

Yesterday hike and before leaving I look at the CPE is up to date, it has expired, I connect my smartphone to the 66sr and it took at least a quarter of an hour for it to be updated by connecting and disconnecting Garmin Connect, I do not understand this system which does not exist on the other GPS of the brand, we just wait a little longer for the acquisition of the satellites but it is not a problem.
Then the route was much better than usual, even between the houses. I went through an area covered with not very high but dense holm oaks, but since I can't see the path under cover with the satellite photos, I don't know if it follows the path exactly.....It seems so.
In fact the precision is not acquired every day even if we have many satellites, it depends on the satellites and their positions in the sky.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good to hear you have recorded much better tracks in same area as before but with more accuracy.

I still suspect your poor accuracy track was a combination of factors, primarily a poor GNSS constellation configuration at the time of the recording.

I read today that Russia is jamming/spoofing some GNSS systems - so anyone in or near Eastern Europe may experience strange operation if this is indeed the case.
mimichris

I live in France, it's far from Russia !
GPSrChive
Site Admin

mimichris wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 am I live in France, it's far from Russia !
Not from the GNSS satellites point of view.
TheATHiker

Unread post by TheATHiker »

Each GPS satellite can see ~30% of Earth, and distance between France and Ukraine is ~2,189 km= ~1,360 miles. the circumference of the earth is ~24,000 miles. Just eyeballing it puts you in easy in the 30% with Ukraine.

So gpsrchive is right. :!:

There is a saying in the EU: 100 miles is along way and 100 years short period of time, but in the USA 100 years is a long time and 100 miles is a short distance. :lol:

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”