Trace 66sr

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

Trace 66sr

Unread post by mimichris »

Yesterday I did a short hike and I found that the track in places was very bad, a place where I often pass so I can compare my tracks, yet the CPE file is current, why when I had a good number useful satellites displayed?
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Trace 66sr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please share the track files.

If you do not want to share public, you can send to webmaster at GPSrChive dot com.
mimichris

Here is my bad track for no reason.
trace mauvaise.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

Good track 66sr
bonne trace 66sr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please send both of those tracks to webmaster at GPSrChive dot com.
mimichris

I sent you the two traces by email yesterday.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am able to inspect data from the more recent GPX track, not so much from the encrypted FIT file.

Unfortunately, Garmin does not record satellite signal data with the tracks, but I was able to plug your track data into a Satellite Availability Almanac and saw that there were very few satellites in view at the beginning of your recording. We have no way of knowing which were being used by the GPSMAP 66sr at the time.

Trimble.png

Which Firmware version was loaded to the device for each of these tracks?

Is this easily repeatable?

If yes, please configure your device to take screen captures [Setup > Display > Screen Capture], and the next time you are making a test recording, at the beginning, capture screen images of your Satellite settings in [Setup > System > Satellite], then capture images from the Satellite page for each constellation available. If you are on a longer journey, you can take captures of the Satellite page for each constellation again at one or more checkpoints/rest stops, and when complete, send the GPX track log with the screen captures so we can compare the track log with the satellite signals the GPSMAP 66sr was using at the time.

If you get a good recording, save everything and send that too, so we have a baseline for good track logs!
TheATHiker

Unread post by TheATHiker »

Please note that solar activity have been causing GPS and amateur radio interference for the last part of March and more now.

https://www.hngn.com/articles/241091/20 ... d-wide.htm

see Space Weather.
A Great source:

Thanks ThATHiker (AF4OZ)
TheATHiker

Unread post by TheATHiker »

Oops the link should have included this one:
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog862/node/1715

Thank TheATHiker (AF4OZ)
mimichris

In fact the track was good on 3/4 of the hike but at the end, it strayed a lot. It was 06/26 so it's not solar disturbances. I did not look at the position and the number of satellites, nor the track when I was hiking, it was by placing the track on the map that I saw the problem.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”