Backlight issue

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
CheminerWill

Backlight issue

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I have an issue with the backlight. It is not coming on at all when the unit is powered on or at any time during use. I thought it might be a hardware failure, but it does come on when I plug it in to charge. I then thought maybe I had inadvertently changed a setting but those all look fine. I even changed the display setting to "Stays On" and that does not fix it. Anything else I should look at? Thanks.
CheminerWill

Re: Backlight issue

Got it figured out. The backlight display adjustment that comes up when pushing the power button was at zero. I have never used that so all I can think is this. I lock/unlock the phone all the time because if I don't when I put the unit in my backpack strap holder, buttons get depressed. Perhaps the last time before I put the unit in my backpack holder, I pushed the power to lock, but missed pressing enter to confirm. Then when I put the unit in the holder, the lock screen with the display adjustment was live and the minus button must have gotten depressed which brought the display down to zero. This setting overrides everything in the settings menu itself so the backlight was not coming on no matter what I changed in the settings. Kind of a duh moment but if I ever really used that backlight adjustment that is under the power button, I probably would have thought to check that first.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Glad you got that sorted quickly!

I find that 20-30% works for just about everything I need here, may need a little more for your environment!

I also time mine out after 15 seconds - never need any backlight out in the sun!

I do hope you are still enjoying your 66sr, Will!
CheminerWill

Yes, I am. It is by far the best one I have used. Now that most of the bugs, (at least the ones that impacted me), have been worked out it is flawless. The only hardware suggestions I would have for Garmin are USB-C and a way other than the power to lock the buttons. But those are minor concerns.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Glad to hear it, Will!

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”