Tread Overland - 1 Full Week In - Positive Review

Discussion related to the Garmin Tread, Tread SxS, Tread Overland, and Tread Overland XL Powersport Navigators
RazorV

Re: Tread Overland - 1 Full Week In - Positive Review

Unread post by RazorV »

Good to know to use Garmin Express. The Tread found it OTA and I was able to download it (620+ MB) and install it. I did check the Ver # first before updating but no additional info was provided as to what was fixed or updated.

If you happen to gather what the update did, please pass it on. I'd be curious what they fixed because I can't see anything that was updated.

Thanks for the info above!

Greg
Boulder, CO
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This is why it is so important to use Garmin Express, and get Screen captures, and share, because Garmin dies not otherwise publish or document firmware update changes for these devices.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:44 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm When you do see updates, if you use Garmin Express on your computer to do the update via USB, you will be presented a list of changes first.
Does this still work? My experience is, that this does not work on devices, which uses the new map management. On XT and Montana 7x0, I get only the message, to connect my GPSr, but it won't show the list of changes.

With older devices, like Montana 6x0, this works and shows the changes.
Garmin Express requires the device to be connected before it will show update details.

I commonly use a 'Virtual GPSr' to simulate my devices so Garmin Express does not make any unwanted changes to my GPSr before I want them.

To make your own 'Virtual GPSr' - Connect a USB Drive formatted FAT 32, Create a 'Garmin' folder, and copy the 'GarminDevice.xml' file from your existing GPSr to this directory. Then disconnect the real GPSr and run Garmin Express.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:59 am
ConiKost wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:44 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm When you do see updates, if you use Garmin Express on your computer to do the update via USB, you will be presented a list of changes first.
Does this still work? My experience is, that this does not work on devices, which uses the new map management. On XT and Montana 7x0, I get only the message, to connect my GPSr, but it won't show the list of changes.

With older devices, like Montana 6x0, this works and shows the changes.
Garmin Express requires the device to be connected before it will show update details.

I commonly use a 'Virtual GPSr' to simulate my devices so Garmin Express does not make any unwanted changes to my GPSr before I want them.

To make your own 'Virtual GPSr' - Connect a USB Drive formatted FAT 32, Create a 'Garmin' folder, and copy the 'GarminDevice.xml' file from your existing GPSr to this directory. Then disconnect the real GPSr and run Garmin Express.
Definitely does not work for me :-( If I do connect the GPSr or a USB-Drive with GarminDevice.xml, it automatically installs the firmware update and then shows directly, that everything is up to date.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

ConiKost wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:47 am
Definitely does not work for me :-( If I do connect the GPSr or a USB-Drive with GarminDevice.xml, it automatically installs the firmware update and then shows directly, that everything is up to date.
I checked and the update with a pendrive works correctly, Garmin Expres does not update anything on its own. Synchronization takes place and the data saved in the xml file is checked, and if they are up-to-date, the application informs that this is the case. No map came on the pendrive. Today I was updating the maps in my car in the same way. After checking the xml file, Garmin Expres informed about new maps and left me the decision to install a newer version.

Return to “Tread”