Tread Overland - 1 Full Week In - Positive Review

Discussion related to the Garmin Tread, Tread SxS, Tread Overland, and Tread Overland XL Powersport Navigators
RazorV

Tread Overland - 1 Full Week In - Positive Review

Unread post by RazorV »

I have had this device (8") now for over a week and other than the issues I have found in my other review, that I posted here, I really do like this device with InReach built-in.

Living in Boulder, CO up at 8,600' is not an easy life as it is or was in the city of Sarasota, FL. Planning and Key equipment can mean the matter of life and death. The weather at this altitude is not to be taken lightly. I have seen the temperature drop 40 degrees in 3 hours up here a few times and the wind can be sustained at 35-50mph for days with gusts over 100, in the winter months and wildfires where we have to evacuate once. So having a device that "does it all" is important for me, my wife, and animals. There have been numerous times the power has gone out and my only means of communicating with the outside world was my Garmin InReach Explorer+ through texting (and "yes" we are working on installing a generator" to keep the satellite dish up).

The mountain maps on the TREAD of the Rockies are incredible and there is nothing else like it on the market except for "maybe" Gaia GPS. But Gaia, I found is not near as easy or friendly as the Tread Overland. The built-in maps have every trail off the main roads that pretty much exists. I'm not sure how they even found some of the trails. For some, that's not important, but in a situation where the road may be closed, getting to safety in the mountains using alternative routes could be life-saving. Maybe Gaia is a tad more detail configurable but you could always import the GPX files to the Tread.

Birds-Eye View is very nice - Overlaying satellite imagery on the map makes it come to life. But they do take up quite some space so invest in a large SD-Card, and I have also read in Garmin's documentation that large multiple satellite files in use can slow the device down - so be advised. I have 2 large maps (100 sq miles each) downloaded on internal storage and I have not noticed any issues with responsiveness.

The Tread Overland is very snappy and quick. Big difference over the Garmin Overlander. You won't be disappointed by its speed.

All the apps work quite well. I have not found any issues with any of them except what I listed in my review of "issues" posted here and sent to Garmin.

The touchscreen is a huge upgrade and now uses the same type of screen most newer smartphones have - providing a great touch response. The Screen Brightness is enough to blind you at 100%. In bright daylight - it's very easy to use but inside the vehicle, I find 80% is adequate. There is no "Auto Dim/Bright" feature other than "Dark Theme" which turns on automatically at dusk and off at dawn. And this is a user setting - either on or off.

There's also a built-in web browser which is fairly great - renders most sites I went to perfect and plays videos on websites too. I was surprised.

The ABC Functions are good and the Compass stays calibrated much better than the Garmin Overlander.

I like the ability to customize the home screen(s) with built-in widgets and buttons. Very nice for quick access to features that are users driven.

Traveling by air, load a movie on the Tread or on an SD Card and watch it on the 8" screen, and pair your BT Ear pods to it. Again, I can’t get over the clarity of the Screen on a GPS Unit.

All the other features are also very good at what they do and Garmin has put some serious thought into this unit, but it does need some refining in certain areas.

I have used the unit for 4 hours in my home “playing” with it and learning/setting it up. And yes I still have a wife. The battery was still at 40%. I feel that is great, but I did have the screen brightness set to 41%, since it was evening and dark.

The Route Planner is great for my line of work! It allows access to all different types of locations, categories, manual addresses, national parks, TripAdvisor, etc., and any Waypoints you have set including access to the Garmin Explore Waypoints. Garmin has thought of everything here. Super easy to create a route, edit a route, save it and navigate to it.

I will say that I'm disappointed that the built-in InReach satellite communication does not allow you to pull weather reports on demand. Not a deal-breaker but if the Garmin InReach Explorer+ can do it, this device should definitely be able to do it (on request) as Garmin touts this device as the ultimate outdoor, just about weatherproof, GPS Communicator to have with you and for $1,299 - well enough said.

It will give you the weather report, weather radar, road conditions, and Weather Alerts and you can set your favorite Cities for these reports.

There is no “Hey Garmin” or “Ready Garmin” Voice Commands on this unit like there were on the Garmin Overlander. So, Voice Control is nonexistent. But for me, I don’t care. I’m not talking to my GPS, as I set it before I leave and ensure my Waypoints are set and accurate. No need for voice – I have an iPhone for that.

There is not much out there to compare with the Tread Overland Edition(s), and Garmin knows it, hence their price point. It’s an OSS (One Stop Shop) for outdoor individuals and peace of mind with all the preloaded maps. I’m in IT and travel all over Northern Colorado and the mountains, so for me I felt maybe I could justify the price. I’m on the fence with the price but if Garmin can get everything working and the connectivity issue fixed with the iPhone, then I think I’ll keep this unit. I have 7 more days with it so we’ll see.

I've included a few screenshots. The map view shows with Bird's Eye View and one without. And a Road Conditions Report

If anyone has any questions, just let me know, because I have the unit here and there aren’t many of them out in circulation yet. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Gregory Heidt
Boulder, CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Tread Overland - 1 Full Week In - Positive Review

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of this brand new Garmin product!

There will be many more device updates with new and improved features in the coming weeks and months.

FYI, you can save screen captures on the Tread itself and upload them here (instead of taking photos). You already have that feature enabled, that is what the semi-transparent icon is for near the bottom left of the screen (visible in your photos). Simply touch this icon any time to save a screen capture.

Note: The Tread only keeps approximately 100 screen captures on the device (older captures are written over), so if you want to save specific screen captures, make sure you copy them off the device before they are overwritten!

Tread screen captures can be found in the '\Internal Shared Storage\Pictures\Screenshots\' folder on your Tread device while connected to your computer via USB.
RazorV

Unread post by RazorV »

Thank you for your reply and advice. Since I'm new to the Forum here may I ask if you work for Garmin or have some insight into their development and/or Update releases? If so, when can we all expect the next update?

The iPhone Connectivity to the Tread has become more stable for some odd reason. The consistent beeping coming from the TREAD (when paired with my iPhone), when I place a call on my iPhone (talking over the earpiece), now stops after a few seconds instead of continuing to beep. Also, it is connecting to my iPhone now just about every time I wake it up or turn it on from an off state. 'm not sure why or what changed but it seems to be functioning more closely as designed.

I am aware of the "screenshot" feature. It was just a convenience to use my iPhone at the time. But thank you for pointing it out and the location of where the shots are stored.

I would like to keep it, and I'm trying to justify the price of $1,300 in my head. It's a steep investment for what my Garmin InReach Explorer+ provides (when connected to my iPhone or iPad) and GAIA. Obviously, there is a major convenience factor with the TREAD Overland, and the preloaded Maps and Off-Road Nav. is nice along with a large screen and peace of mind when outside with it, along with built-in InReach. So weighing the odds before Thursday.

Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to add any new news re: the TREAD Overland

Greg
Last edited by RazorV on Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

RazorV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:22 pm Thank you for your reply and advice. Since I'm new to the Forum here may I ask if you work for Garmin or have some insight into their development and/or Update releases? If so, when can we all expect the next update?
I do not work for Garmin, nor am I employed by any Garmin affiliate.

Garmin does not publish any update timetables, nor do they pre-announce any pending updates. They simply just appear out of the blue in a huge puff of smoke, like your favorite magicians....

Those of us that have been using Garmin products for an extended period of time may have developed a 'feel' for how Garmin updates tend to appear, but any and all predictions are strictly a product of seat-of-the-pants guessing, and bear little to no resemblance to reality...

Having said all that, the Garmin Outdoor Recreation Hand Held products tend to receive frequent updates during the first two years after product release as most, if not all, are released in a state that many could reasonably argue is still 'beta'. Most of these devices will see substantial refinement and additional features added during this time period, after which, they tend to settle into a less frequent update pattern with more time passing between each successive update until the product is eventually no longer supported.

All of these updates are pretty well documented by Garmin, allowing users to see in advance just exactly what is being changed from one update to the next, and we do our best to convey that information here at GPSrChive.

The Tread, Tread SxS, and Tread overland devices are actually part of the Garmin Automotive department, which is absolutely nothing like the Hand Held department. Updates are released with little to no fanfare, almost never include any documentation explaining changes or fixes, and Garmin apparently just expects users to 'figure it all out for themselves'.

Automotive department devices generally receive updates on a quarterly basis after release before eventually fizzling out to be all but forgotten and replaced by the next generation device that likely fixes many of the remaining issues with the last, while creating some new issues to keep it all very interesting.

Fortunately, most moderns automotive devices, including the Tread series, include functionality that allow them to download and install device and map updates wirelessly via Wi-Fi, making the process almost painless for the end user.

So, remember to keep your Tread powered up and connected to Wi-Fi occasionally, or go old school and connect to a computer and use Garmin Express to find and install updates from time to time. You can always check to see if updates are available directly on your Tread Device while connected to Wi-Fi.

More information available at GPSrChive > Tread!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

RazorV wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:22 pm I would like to keep it, and I'm trying to justify the price of $1,300 in my head. It's a steep investment for what my Garmin InReach Explorer+ provides (when connected to my iPhone or iPad) and GAIA. Obviously, there is a major convenience factor with the TREAD Overland, and the preloaded Maps and Off-Road Nav. is nice along with a large screen and peace of mind when outside with it, along with built-in InReach. So weighing the odds before Thursday.
Yes, the Tread is not an inexpensive option, but compared specifically to the inReach Explorer+ you mentioned, the Tread is far more capable in every single way, and offers far more functionality and features than the Explorer+ ever will, all for about twice the asking price. Plus, the Explorer+ is no longer being developed, while the Tread series is still a very new Garmin product and will continue to see many exciting new and improved features as Garmin continue to develop the product line. Based on what we have seen, there is still very much yet to come!

The Tread also has the most complete and expansive collection of mapping information ever available on one device, and it is all included (with life time updates) in the price of the device. Many of these maps are just not available on any other product, at any price. And the Tread is the first Garmin to offer off-road navigation capability!
RazorV

Unread post by RazorV »

Thank you so much for your detailed response! This is great information.

I have called in 2x to Garmin Support re: the Proximity Alerts being Grayed out on my unit and there is no resolution to this yet and it's been 2 weeks.

I'm curious if you think it may be isolated to my TREAD Overland or a firmware issue in the Tread series itself? The Reason being is I could return my Tread tomorrow and buy another one if my Tread is defective.

Also, what are your thoughts about Garmin replacing the Tread with a newer/updated unit within a year to resolve issues - as you stated in one of your replies?

Thank you again for all the information. It is very much appreciated!!

Greg
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Far too often, people rush to replace their GPSr suspecting they somehow 'got a bad one', only to find out, once the replacement has been loaded up the same as the original, the issue they were experiencing is still present, and now you are the proud owner of a refurb device that you paid new money for.

I personally would not get it replaced unless you are absolutely certain there is a physical defect, which I am not. Almost certainly you are experiencing issues that are nothing more than the result of immature firmware, which will be corrected with upcoming releases. Until then, it is what it is.

And while the original Tread was released less than a year prior to the GEN 2 Tread devices, one must realize the GEN 1 Tread was not a new product, only a new concept. The hardware for the Original Tread already existed, and all Garmin had to do was take an existing off the shelf product, rebadge it, and tweak some software so they could 'test the waters' for their new product line.

While the current GEN 2 Tread devices are purpose built from the ground up, the GEN 1 is no slouch, and is a worthy option for users wanting the Tread SxS package without integrated inReach, albeit with a smaller display, otherwise the maps and functionality are essentially the same.

The Tread Overland is the successor to the original Overlander device, now with integrated inReach hardware and new maps and more features, and is available in two screen sizes, both of which function identically to each other.

Almost certainly the just released GEN 2 Tread will stand on their own for at least a couple years before any 'replacements' are named, but that does not mean new models in the 'Tread Product Line' will not be announced before then. Only time will tell....

I would not hesitate to keep your Tread Overland unless for some reason it does not provide the features you desire. But there is nothing else like it on the market today.
RazorV

Unread post by RazorV »

Well, I went ahead and decided to keep this Tread Overland Thursday as your thoughts and suggestions seem very noteworthy. I do want to thank you for all the details that you provided based on your experience with Garmin devices.

On Saturday, an Update, 2.80 for the Tread came out. Eagerly I installed and it updated from 2.6 -> 2.8. However, no changes in anything I brought up or experienced.

I guess we will see what comes down the pipe as far as updates.

Thank you again for all your replies!

Greg
GPSrChive
Site Admin

When you do see updates, if you use Garmin Express on your computer to do the update via USB, you will be presented a list of changes first.

Please consider doing this and taking screen captures of the list of changes then sharing them here in a new post for that firmware version.

You can see examples of this if you look at the forums for other Garmin handheld devices.

Glad you decided to keep it!
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm When you do see updates, if you use Garmin Express on your computer to do the update via USB, you will be presented a list of changes first.
Does this still work? My experience is, that this does not work on devices, which uses the new map management. On XT and Montana 7x0, I get only the message, to connect my GPSr, but it won't show the list of changes.

With older devices, like Montana 6x0, this works and shows the changes.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)

Return to “Tread”