Change full screen messages to popup

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
ConiKost

Change full screen messages to popup

Unread post by ConiKost »

I would like to see on Montana 700 series a change of messages. For example, the message for gps lost signal is completly full screen on Montana 7x0, while GPSMap 66* has a smaller popup, so no full screen is used. Full screen covers the whole screen, which I find pretty annoying.

66sr.png
7x0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Change full screen messages to popup

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You are comparing Apples to Oranges here.

One device is touchscreen while the other is not.

Historically, Garmin touchscreen devices have used full screen alert messages while non-touchscreen devices make use of a pop-up style, similar to the examples you have shared.

We can add it to the list of feature requests, but like >98% of the ideas in these lists, you are almost guaranteed to not see it implemented, especially since it is such a well established standard shared by so many devices.
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:32 pm Historically, Garmin touchscreen devices have used full screen alert messages while non-touchscreen devices make use of a pop-up style, similar to the examples you have shared.
Thank you, that's a good to know. I assume, you mean older outdoor devices? AFAIK, on automotive touch-devices, this was not the case, but more like the outdoor non-touch devices.
gpsrchive wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:32 pm We can add it to the list of feature requests, but like >98% of the ideas in these lists, you are almost guaranteed to not see it implemented, especially since it is such a well established standard shared by so many devices.
In this case, I agree.

IMHO, there is one edge case, where this is really annoying. If you are driving through a longer tunnel, you are likly to loose GPS signal there. If so, the full screen message comes and you won't see the map. This takes very long, until the message dissapears.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ConiKost wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:48 pm I assume, you mean older outdoor devices? AFAIK, on automotive touch-devices, this was not the case, but more like the outdoor non-touch devices.
Correct.

Automotive devices have historically been equipped with substantially larger screens at higher resolutions, which allow for pop-up prompts that do not consume the entire display. Devices with smaller screens at lower resolutions use the entire display so they have sufficient space for touch-friendly response areas so the user can easily select 'Yes', 'No', 'Continue', 'Exit', etc...

ConiKost wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:48 pm IMHO, there is one edge case, where this is really annoying. If you are driving through a longer tunnel, you are likly to loose GPS signal there. If so, the full screen message comes and you won't see the map. This takes very long, until the message dissapears.
If you enter a tunnel and loose the satellite signal, the GPSr will simply maintain the last known heading and speed until such time the satellite signals return and it can calculate the true position again. During this time, the Map display is of little use as it will just show you going somewhere you aren't really going (unless it is a perfectly straight and long tunnel).
ConiKost

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 pm Automotive devices have historically been equipped with substantially larger screens at higher resolutions, which allow for pop-up prompts that do not consume the entire display.
I wouldn't fully agree. For example, Zumo 59x has 800x480, same as Montana 7x0. But I get your point, I see it also realistic, that Garmin won't change that interface, even, when submiting a feature request.
gpsrchive wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:51 pm If you enter a tunnel and loose the satellite signal, the GPSr will simply maintain the last known heading and speed until such time the satellite signals return and it can calculate the true position again. During this time, the Map display is of little use as it will just show you going somewhere you aren't really going (unless it is a perfectly straight and long tunnel).
I guess, that's depends on the tunnel indeed. Since most tunnels are here just straigt, maintaining ast known heading and speed until such time the satellite signals return works just fine. I would be happy, if such full screen messages would be automatically gone after a few seconds.

Return to “Montana 7x0”