CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
ljnjtrails

Re: CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

ewald.gruen wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:34 am...
That looks like a Wireshark packet trace. I've used Wireshark, but was never able to get it to see WiFi activity from my GPSMAP 66sr, even when I temporarily set up an unencrypted WiFi network. I'm missing something or doing something wrong. Any tips or suggestions? Does Wireshark have to be running on the AP itself? Do you have to lock down the channel or something like that?
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

There are many ways to capture traffic, but it would probably be easiest if your (home) router supported traffic capture, which some do.
ljnjtrails wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:40 pmI'm missing something or doing something wrong.
Most likely, Wireshark was unable to enable promiscuous mode on your network interface, which is not uncommon.

PS: But if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time with it. It's not our fault that it doesn't work, it's Garmin's fault.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Even today, CPE expired, impossible to update it with Garmin Connect, forced to go through Garmin Express where it was immediately updated. However with Garmin Connect I download my tracks without any problem.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ewald.gruen

Would you mind sharing your up-to-date CPE.BIN with me, so I do some testing with it?
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

My CPE.BIN file today.
External Link
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
anderw_hsieh

Unread post by anderw_hsieh »

In my try test, set wifi off then set wifi on, goto weather page(connect to garmin server) and waiting for weather forecast. After finished of weekly forecast , the CPE display current.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

anderw_hsieh wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:52 pm In my try test, set wifi off then set wifi on, goto weather page(connect to garmin server) and waiting for weather forecast. After finished of weekly forecast , the CPE display current.
Thank you for posting this!

Hopefully some here will test and report their results...
ewald.gruen

@anderw_hsieh, I can't confirm that. When I open the 'Active Weather' page, the device downloads about a hundred kilobytes of data from caps.dciwx.com, and that's it. No difference in terms of CPE.BIN.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ewald.gruen wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:48 am @anderw_hsieh, I can't confirm that. When I open the 'Active Weather' page, the device downloads about a hundred kilobytes of data from caps.dciwx.com, and that's it. No difference in terms of CPE.BIN.
Was your GPSr Wi-Fi network configured using Garmin Express?
ewald.gruen

No, and I have no plans to ever connect my device to Garmin Express.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”