CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
anderw_hsieh

Re: CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by anderw_hsieh »

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:10 pm
anderw_hsieh wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:43 pm
GPSrChive wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:34 am

Was your GPSr Wi-Fi network configured using Garmin Express?
It is my fault. Because I had installed Garmin explore on my smartphone although I don't open it, but maybe it run in background. When set the Wi-Fi on, gpsmap 66sr will download EPO.bin file (locate in /garmin/GPS )that is for Garmin watch, not for 66sr.
So you also found an EPO.BIN file on your GPSMAP 66sr?

Was there also the CPE.BIN file?
yes, there are two files.
I had ask garmin Taiwan, they say gpsmap 66sr can not update CPE by wifi. You need to use garmin explore, connect or express to do it.
ewald.gruen

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

At least they're honest. Thanks for the information.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Thanks for the information.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

Yes, thanks for the info.

Back in February, Garmin (USA) support told me that "future updates to the CPE should occur successfully with a WiFi connection."

Which, to be pedantic, is not inconsistent with what you were told from Garmin Taiwan. Updates should occur successfully over WiFi, but they don't.
Pathfinder

Unread post by Pathfinder »

Running the 5.50 firmware now. Wifi still did not pull a recent CPE file.

Can we pull the CPE file directly from the website? Perhaps with wget?
Did someone here reverse the communication during the update?
WNYguy

Unread post by WNYguy »

As reported elsewhere, GPSMAP 66sr Wi-Fi CPE file updates now appear to work for most people with the latest firmware update.
My GPSMAP 66sr running firmware 6.10 will fetch a new one if needed within a minute of being connected.
As a test I let my CPE expire on purpose, enabled WI-Fi and let the 66sr find the prveviously paired connection (NOT trying a USB PC Express Sync first) and BINGO! I verified the CPE file dates before and after using Win 10 Explorer through a non-syncing USB file transfer only connection and also checked to insure the 66sr About screen went fron Expired to Current.
Matt16598

Unread post by Matt16598 »

On Firmware 6.10, the CPE file still won't update via Garmin Express on my Mac (it's never updated for me with any firmware version). It will update over WiFi, once the device has been logged into Garmin Connect using Express. For the record, the CPE update did/does work on my 66i and 67i, and I have tried removing and reinstalling the device on Express, with no improvement.

Luvvinbird also mentioned this issue on the 5.70 thread:
luvvinbird wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:35 pm ... My 66sr updates that file via WiFi or via Garmin Connect but not via Garmin Express. Is that the way it was meant to be? ...
So it appears that this part of the bug is still present. But since the WiFi/Bluetooth issue seems to have been resolved, perhaps we should consider this a separate bug. (On the bug description, "USB cable" is mentioned as one method by which CPE updates didn't work. I assume that's referring to Express.)

I've also mentioned this on the Firmware 6.10 discussion.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

If the CPE file is updating properly via Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth but not via Garmin Express, this is not a device firmware issue, and should probably be posted in the Garmin Express forum.
Matt16598

Unread post by Matt16598 »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:46 pm If the CPE file is updating properly via Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth but not via Garmin Express, this is not a device firmware issue, and should probably be posted in the Garmin Express forum.
I would tend to agree, since Express accesses the GPSMAP in Mass Storage Mode (I think) and the device probably has no say in how files are modified in that mode. It seems clear that there is a bug in something here, though, and Garmin should probably be notified. I sold the 66sr immediately after posting the other message and may not be pursuing this any further.
I am curious, though, as to why the Bug 65 description includes "USB cable" as a means of connection where the CPE update can fail. Is there an app other than Express that connects by USB cable?

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”