CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
ewald.gruen

Re: CPE updates via WiFi - does it work? [Bug 65]

Unread post by ewald.gruen »

mimichris wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 amIt's impossible with Garmin, the old GPS turning out much better
I cannot confirm that. As far as GPS acquisition speed is concerned, my 66sr is superior to my 64s in every way, and I have never connected either device to the internet. What I don't know, however, is whether it would be even better with an up-to-date CPE.BIN.

The same goes for accuracy. As far as I can tell so far, it is as good or better than that of my 64s at least 95% of the time.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

With a current CPE.BIN available, the GNSS signal acquisition time is virtually instantaneous.
ewald.gruen

The same is true without any CPE.BIN, at least if not too much time elapses between switching the unit off and on. So the question remains whether it makes a qualitative difference whether the corresponding data was collected via satellite or via Wi-Fi. Perhaps the data in the CPE.BIN is more complete or longer valid than the data downloaded from the satellites?
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

ewald.gruen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:29 pm
mimichris wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 amIt's impossible with Garmin, the old GPS turning out much better
I cannot confirm that. As far as GPS acquisition speed is concerned, my 66sr is superior to my 64s in every way, and I have never connected either device to the internet. What I don't know, however, is whether it would be even better with an up-to-date CPE.BIN.

The same goes for accuracy. As far as I can tell so far, it is as good or better than that of my 64s at least 95% of the time.
Indeed to have had a 64 s it is not very good, and even bad in some cases, but I was mainly talking about the 66s (GPS, Glonass, Galileo) which is as good as the 66r multiband, when I look at my recorded traces with this 66s they are almost perfect.
I also have two Twonav Trail2 and Cross, (GPS, Glonass, Galileo) non-multiband, which have almost perfect tracks.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

About 1 week after my last sync with Garmin Explore, my GPSMAP 66sr started reporting CPE: Expired. This happened even though I had it connected to WiFi at least once a day, every day, often for several hours at a time. Conclusion: This feature (CPE updates directly over WiFi) does not work.

I then started Garmin Explore on my phone, and turned on Bluetooth on both the phone and GPSMAP. It quickly synced, and now shows CPE: Current.
ewald.gruen

I'm on Firmware Version 5.50 and updating the CPE.BIN via WiFi does not work. The device does not even try to download it.
mimichris

Three days ago I had a lot of trouble updating the CPE.BIN, why mystery, I tried at least ten times with garmin Connect, with Garmin Explorer, WiFi it does not update it , I connected the 66sr with Garmin Express and there it updated. There really is a problem with Garmin Connect.
ljnjtrails

Unread post by ljnjtrails »

ewald.gruen wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:00 am ... The device does not even try to download it.
I'm curious how you would know that. It would be helpful for troubleshooting the problem. Are you able to monitor network traffic from your GPSMAP? I have tried a few things and was never able to get anything useful.
mimichris

the CPE does not update with WiFi, it never worked on my 66sr. On the other hand, WiFi automatically downloads the latest firmware.
ewald.gruen

ljnjtrails wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:11 amI'm curious how you would know that.
gpsmap_66sr_wifi.png
ljnjtrails wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:11 amI have tried a few things and was never able to get anything useful.
The device always checks whether it is behind a captive portal by requesting the following data:
External Link
and if it is not, the following things will be downloaded once (if necessary):
External Link
Apart from that, it does not try to connect to anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”