Altimeter keeps wrong-calibrating (v9.90)

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Altimeter keeps wrong-calibrating (v9.90)

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
My living location lies about 25 meter above sealevel. The GPSMAP 66st has now firmware 9.90.
I use altimeter auto calibration setting "once".
In firmware 9.90 the altimeter radically miscalculates the elevation short after calibration.
If i manually set it to the 25 meters or start a new recording at this location it resets to 25 meters. Then sometimes with seconds, other times after some minutes the elevation goes crazy and then stays at 465 meters. I don't know why exactly 440 meters difference but it is surely not the correct elevation according to manual calibration (25 m) , auto calibration (25 m), GPS elevation (showing ~40 m), nor atmospheric changes during the short time.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Altimeter keeps wrong-calibrating (v9.90)

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As this is easy for you to replicate, please do a track recording set to record new track points once every 5 seconds, then leave the device in the same location while recording a track for a minimum of several minutes to an hour, then save the track, and share with us the GPX and FIT files for that saved activity.

You can send privately, or you can do same test in a public place (not your home) and share publicly.

Thank you!

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I have sent a private message or the data from yesterday when the problem occurred multiple times. Today, after the unit was powered off during the night i have not been able to reproduce the issue.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That is good news!

Please let us know if you see this unwanted behavior again!

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”