"On Track" / "Off Track" Alarm is Annoying [Bug 138]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Alex593

"On Track" / "Off Track" Alarm is Annoying [Bug 138]

Unread post by Alex593 »

I just experienced that when running a track e.g. when hiking (that is "FIND" + "TRACKS" or the new "COURSES") I always get notifications about "on track"/"off track". Not only on display (which is also not possible to deactivate) but also with a loud beep sounding like getting a call. There seems to be no way to deactivate it. Even if all audio signals are switched off it keeps on beeping. It drives me (and my hiking fellows) nuts. Have to roll back to 7.60 because of this at this point. Can someone reproduce this as a general new bug? Thank you.
Iamnotanumber

Re: "On Track" / "Off Track" Alarm is Annoying [Bug 138]

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

Oh I know exactly what you mean. This never used to happen but is driving me crazy. Whether i have accidently changed a setting I dont know? I preload my 66s with tracks using mapping software. I then simply follow the track ( not a route) by glancing every now and again at the screen to check i am still on track ( or off track if i want to be) . I really do not need a visual and audible alarm to tell me this.- I can see where i am in relation to the track by looking at the screen! Worse still I usually have the screen lock on so when the alarm does come up it means have to take the lock off and clear the alarm before I can see the screen . This now happening every few minutes.

I have tried changing just about every setting on the device trying to disable the feat :evil: ure with no luck.

its a real problem
Iamnotanumber

Cured it appears by the latest firmware update -
bv101

Unread post by bv101 »

Exactly the same problem, also after latest update

Change History
Changes made from version 7.60 to 9.60:
Added on course and off course alerts to track navigation.

Nice that they added it, now how do you turn it off??

Alternatively - who knows how to roll back firmware?
kampy

Unread post by kampy »

Last update = 9.90
johnassel

Unread post by johnassel »

Any idea what exactly the fixed?
"Fixed issue with on and off course alerts appearing when they should not." isn't very specific imho.
Is this feature less annoying now? :D
johnassel

Unread post by johnassel »

So, I found the time to test it myself:
The feature is now less annoying and actually usable in my opinion though it can't be disabled (at least I didn't find the setting for this).
It seems as if the threshold was raised significantly when the alarm is triggered. Now a bad reception won't trigger it as before.
But the notification still has to be acknowledged manually and it won't go away automatically.
All in all it is usable for me now. :D
paulxtr

Unread post by paulxtr »

johnassel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am The feature is now less annoying and actually usable in my opinion though it can't be disabled (at least I didn't find the setting for this).
Yes it's much more tolerable now, but a setting to completely disable the feature would be desirable.
johnassel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am It seems as if the threshold was raised significantly when the alarm is triggered. Now a bad reception won't trigger it as before.
The on/off course alarms can be disabled in firmware 9.90 by setting

(Menu) > (Menu) > [Setup] > [Tones] > [Tones]

to [Off], which is a welcome change from the initial implementation in firmware 9.60.
johnassel wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 am But the notification still has to be acknowledged manually and it won't go away automatically.
That's not the experience I've had with firmware 9.90. The notifications disappear automatically on my unit.
Iamnotanumber

Ok it has improved but there still appear to be problems. The alarms have gone thank god but i still get the visual on/of course signals. They do disappear now after a short while but i really do not want them at all. There is still no way of turning them off completely
smukec

Unread post by smukec »

Anything new about that? Did garmin fix this issue?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”