'Distance to Next' counts down while stationary [Bug 95]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
lost

'Distance to Next' counts down while stationary [Bug 95]

Unread post by lost »

When I navigate with a route and stop, the GPS continues to count down to 0 and stops there.
As soon as I start moving again, the numbers jump back to the correct value as nothing has happened.

It is the same error with direct routing.

If I recalculate, the numbers jump back to the correct value and stay there, but the next time I stop, the GPS slowly goes down again.

The data fields that are affected are the distance to the next turn and the distance to the target.
This error does not affect the navigation, just a little annoying.

A master reset did not help and this happens every time I stop moving.

fw 10.80

DSCN0450.MP4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lost

Re: 'Distance to Next' counts down while stationary [Bug 95]

Unread post by lost »

Here you can see how the gps gets to 0 and stays there.
As soon as I start driving again, everything is as usual.

DSCN0451.MP4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for taking the time to make the videos, they will help gain the attentions of the Garmin software team.

Your observations have been forwarded for consideration.
Jim Beam

Unread post by Jim Beam »

Some problem here when searching for a geocache.

When I walk to a cache everythins is normal, "Distance to destination" is counting down. When the "Distance to destination" has dropped to zero, than it stays there even when i don't log the cache and walk away from it. Suddenly at about 40m from the cache "Distance to destination" starts counting again, but it was counting up, even when i didn't move. I waited until it was showing 150m (i didn*'t move!)
No chance to try to find the cache at that moment because the "Distance to destination" was showing trash. I tested this with the compass-screen.

Geocaching profile
V10.80

I thing this problem belongs to bug 95.
jwwd

Unread post by jwwd »

Hi

I have a simular problem. When navigating by Compass the distance is way off and not changing the closer I get to the Waypoint. I can solve the problem by stop the navigation and start it again. But after a while the distance in Compass is locked and not changing when I move away from the Waypoint.

The problem startet after a firmware update to vers. 10.50. I have contacted Garmin Support, who wants me to record a video of the problem……not easy to do.

I have now downgraded firmware to version 9.2 and my Montana 700 is working perfect again in Compass.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Henrik
bon

Unread post by bon »

Similar problem here too. While approaching a waypoint the "Distance to Next" counts down as expected but once at the waypoint it does one of two things. It might lock on 0 feet and never change even if I'm moving away and not within 20 feet of the waypoint. But a more common issue is that once I'm close to the waypoint it might say 8 feet away as expected but immediately the "Distance to Next" starts counting up at a constant rate saying I'm hundreds of feet away even though I'm right at the coordinates for the waypoint. The highest I've seen it show is over 8/10 of a mile away!

Like Henrik this issue started immediately after FW 10.50 was loaded on Nov 2, 2021.

I also have been in touch with Garmin support and they stated that ALL 700s have this issue and should be fixed in the next update.

I bought this in August 2021 so it worked fine for almost 3 months but has become useless for the last 3+ months. I'll look into loading v. 9.2 since it should be better than nothing.
dingsundbums

Unread post by dingsundbums »

Hello @hier,
I am new to this Forum and found it since I am also encountering this Bug on my brand new Montana 700.
Since I am using it for geocaching this bug is a bit annoying since it most of the time prevents that you find the correct spot since the compass distance is jumping.

Yesterday I found, that the compass was pointing to the totally wrong direction.
So i calibrated it but that does not help or change the direction.

It seems that the in the Factory defaults the compass north is set to "true" or "WAHR" in german.
I switched it to magnetic and since then the compass is pointing to the right direction and also the distance bug seems to be fixed since the data field is now correctly updating.

My Firmware is 10.90 and the routing settings are direct / do not show on road.
Compass is also set to automatic.

Can anyone confirm that ?

Greetings from Germany,
Dierk
GPSrChive
Site Admin

How much compass error did you observe when set to 'true north' instead of 'magnetic north'?
dingsundbums

Unread post by dingsundbums »

Hi,
didnt measure it exactly,
but it looked like about 180 degrees.
The arrow showed mostly in the opposite direction.

I only came to that point to switch the setting since my wife also had her mobile with a magnetic compass and was able to get to zero distance and went to the exact opposit direction :D

Normally true north and magnetic north shouldnt be that much different afaik.....

Greetings,
Dierk
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 'Arrow' does not indicate North, South, West or East. The Arrow shows bearing to a destination.

The compass ring indicates NSWE....

Return to “Montana 7x0”