Wildly Inaccurate ETA times [Bug 94]

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
CavReconSGT

Wildly Inaccurate ETA times [Bug 94]

Unread post by CavReconSGT »

I have repeatedly noticed highly inaccurate times for ETA's. I have a 3 hour trip that repeatedly initially shows a 5 to 6 hour travel time. It has happened in motorcycle and automotive routing as well as other settings. It does eventually converge on the correct time as we get nearer and nearer to the location. Has anyone else noticed this and is it a know bug. I have not seen it listed in the common issues page. It seems especially strange since the 610 I had didn't have this problem, nor has any other of the many Garmin's I have possessed over the decades. I mean, isn't that what GPS's do?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Wildly Inaccurate ETA times [Bug 94]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are going to need to see specific details including device settings, routes followed, activities used, maps enabled, routing preferences, with screen captures showing ETA values along the way, and GPX files for independent testing and review before we can comment, other than to say, we are not experiencing any 'Wildly inaccurate ETA' times with our Montana 7x0 v1080 at this time.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Isn't that related to the 'learning' of Montana? I noticed, after some driving the same route over several days, the ETA was more and more becoming accurate, based on how I do drive. In the beginning it was also showing to much hours. I suspect it's the same function as 276Cx does.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
CavReconSGT

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:24 pm We are going to need to see specific details including device settings, routes followed, activities used, maps enabled, routing preferences, with screen captures showing ETA values along the way, and GPX files for independent testing and review before we can comment, other than to say, we are not experiencing any 'Wildly inaccurate ETA' times with our Montana 7x0 v1080 at this time.
I'll see what I can do about this. I have tried more than one setting and had the same results on several different trips. I guess from your description you have not had others complain about this. I will try to get some snapshots, and the gpx file and settings. It won't happen soon if you need snapshots along the route also.

I'll attempt this on my next 3 hour trip back to where I started from. Just setting it up to head back it already was reporting the 3 hour trip to be 6 hours.

KR
CavReconSGT

ConiKost wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:46 pm Isn't that related to the 'learning' of Montana? I noticed, after some driving the same route over several days, the ETA was more and more becoming accurate, based on how I do drive. In the beginning it was also showing to much hours. I suspect it's the same function as 276Cx does.
I never thought that the 750i would have to learn. I thought that they had fixed speeds set for specific classes of roads, and in some cases those are adjustable by the user. Never saw that on any of my other GPS's units either but maybe some of them do that.

regards,
KR
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Do you have 'Automatic Maps' enabled, by chance? If yes, please disable it and retest, paying special attentions to which maps are enabled and which are disabled.
CavReconSGT

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:13 am Do you have 'Automatic Maps' enabled, by chance? If yes, please disable it and retest, paying special attentions to which maps are enabled and which are disabled.
It was disabled. I am trying other combinations. It might be user error. I have had several combinations that have the correct time. I had one that I think has something to do with "recreational" that has the exaggerated time even though I was using the automotive (minimum time) setting. I have the CN 2022.25 ALL and Topoactive Americas, Central 2021.20 and Americas, North 2021.20 map set enabled. Let me investigate this further and see if I can set a group of parameters that reliably give me an incorrect result and go from there. I appreciate the responses and will respond if I can reliably repeat the problem.

regards,
KR
Last edited by CavReconSGT on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Fantastic, sounds like you are making good progress!!
CavReconSGT

It clearly has something to do with the "motorcycle driving activity" setting. It is not anything in the motorcycle activity related to avoidances though. I have no avoidences set. I am still checking but so far cannot find what is set in the motorcycle driving activity that is causing this.

KR
lost

Unread post by lost »

I experience the same problem for both car and motorcycle.
Made a complete reset recently and chose citynavigator europe 2022.10 manually.
Without touching any settings, I chose an address 1 hour 20 minutes away and the GPS shows 2 hours travel time.

Montana 750i FW 10.80

Return to “Montana 7x0”