kampy

Re: How to stop the GPSMAP 66s updating

Unread post by kampy »

I wrote in PM
skinnie

Re: How to stop the GPSMAP 66s updating

Unread post by skinnie »

THE_Chris wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:37 pm Hi all,

So the two latest versions of the software, v7.6 and v9.6 both brick my GPSr. It won't get any further than the launch screen and can't be switched off without pulling the battery.

This is annoying, but for now I'm happy to stick with an old version by forcing its install. I've done it before to move from v7.6 down to v7.2 via my laptop.

However, the GPS downloads updates automatically via bluetooth (wifi is off and I don't let basecamp update). It places the update file automatically into the usual folder and tries to update on the next boot. Of course, I can say no to that, but if I am on holiday for a week, and I accidentally press YES, then I have a bricked GPSR until I can get at my laptop, which will likely be at home.

Is there any easy way to stop it updating itself? Could a fake update file do the trick or would that just make it worse? Is there a "NEVER download updates" option hidden somewhere, or is there a solution in Garmin Connect somewhere?

Thanks a million.
Haven't cross your mind that maybe there is something wrong with your unit? Or some file inside it that triggers that? On a edge 530 I had that issue with a specific gpx file.
have you contacted garmin?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”