Disable on course and off course alerts? [Bug 138]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
NeilB

Re: Disable on course and off course alerts? [Bug 138]

Unread post by NeilB »

I reported this to the Helpdesk and got this reply:

"We appreciate your feedback on the new on/off course alerts when navigating a track for your GPSMAP 66s, we are sorry to hear this feature has not been positive for you! At this time, there are no settings to disable this new feature or to adjust the distance at which they start to sound. However, we're always looking into improving our products and I have submitted your feedback that these types of controls for feature would be helpful."

The product improvement can't come fast enough for me!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to follow your suggestion ref' reinstalling 7.60 as the instructions relate to Windows and mine's a Mac only household. Never mind - I'll just have to persevere with the chirupping walk partner until such time as Garmin provide an "off" switch.

Merry Xmas, all.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

NeilB wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am Unfortunately I haven't been able to follow your suggestion ref' reinstalling 7.60 as the instructions relate to Windows and mine's a Mac only household.
Installing a newer/older firmware version via the GCD Update Procedure can be accomplished with any operating system.

For those methods that do require the Windows operating system (which make up nearly 90% of all home computers), an inexpensive Windows laptop can be had for less $$ than most Mac accessories and software titles. Who knows, you may even find that you like it.

:evil:
NeilB

Unread post by NeilB »

Thanks. Should have read more closely. Will give me something to do Xmas pm!

Been using Windows at work and home since version 2.0 in 1988 but as other household members migrated to Macs it was more convenient to use their machines, at one point using Parallels to access Windows software, all free through (then) being a student. Now that's no longer the case, I'm too mean to pay for it!

Once again, thanks for the help
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

BTW, Garmin just published a new firmware for the Montana 7x0 a couple days ago that addresses this issue, it is very likely other devices will see a similar update very soon.
Iamnotanumber

Unread post by Iamnotanumber »

NeilB wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm Please would some kind soul tell me how to backtrack to 7.60, so that I can stop being driven mad by the infernal chirruping of this feature on 9.60? Or point this newcomer to previous discussion of how you move to an earlier firmware version? Thanks in advance.
did you find out how to revert to 7.6 i also cant stand this new feature/
pedigree1

Unread post by pedigree1 »

Iamnotanumber wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
NeilB wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm Please would some kind soul tell me how to backtrack to 7.60, so that I can stop being driven mad by the infernal chirruping of this feature on 9.60? Or point this newcomer to previous discussion of how you move to an earlier firmware version? Thanks in advance.
See GCD updates on this page. Never done it myself. Good luck.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
pedigree1

Unread post by pedigree1 »

pedigree1 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:21 pm
Iamnotanumber wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
See GCD updates on this page. Never done it myself. Good luck.
Hmm. The link only goes to the index. GCD Updates is on the Firmware page.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

You have to click on "Firmware" to get 7.60 version

Firmware.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Keep in mind that when you change the firmware to an older version, you will need to reset all your settings as if the device was new. This might be a pain for some people (like me). If you can't live with the problem, okay. Otherwise, wait for the fix in the next update.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I agree with you it is better to wait for the fix.
Some users are good at rolling back firmware others not.
For me I know how to do it but do not roll back a firmware.
Garmin will come up with a fix and I too can wait.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”